Maxima pictures

Nice pics and nice clam, too!

I have a question about your PC lighting? How close to the surface do you keep this clam? I would like to get a Maxima to keep under my VHOs and figured I'd need it right up at the top. I have a Squamosa on the sand (28" from surface) and it's doing fine, but a much lower light clam than a maxima. Thanks!

Originally the Maxima was 4" from the surface, with the lights 4" from the water.

However, after about 2 or 3 months up there, it jumped down to the substrate, so it is about 12" from the lights. After all, a 29g isn't very deep.

sambryce said:
I would like to get a Maxima to keep under my VHOs and figured I'd need it right up at the top.

I don't know of anyone successfully keeping a Maxima under VHO lighting personally, but perhaps there are some. It would have to be really close to the surface, because VHO isn't as intense as PC.

However, the higher you put a clam, the less you see its color. The reason they look so beautiful is because you view them from above.

melev.. great looking clam!!!

I am thinking about placing one in my 10g nano reef. I have 2 x 28w PC. What do you think??

I would imagine it would do well in a 10g, as those are only 10" deep to the glass base. With a little substrate, you are only looking at 7-8" below the lights. However, I do believe your lighting is still too weak.

Keep in mind that I do feed Phytoplankton every other day as well.

melev.. From what I have read. I came to the same conclusion. I just need a second opinion. Thanks..

Sure you can! Just try it up higher in the tank, and plan on dosing Phytoplankton.

Back