May have made a mistake....

Ab129

So I was just in the mood to buy a fish this weekend and purchased a regal angelfish (for $150).
I am picking him up tonight, I have his qt all ready for him.
As I was reading up today I see that the care level for these fish is expert only and I am no expert!!
Some dude on a message board said that only 1 in 25 last more than 6 months in captivity. Now I know enough not to believe everything you read but is this fish that difficult to care for.
I know my water quality is excellent and the DT has plenty of rock work with peaceful tank mates so my concerns are getting him to eat and hoping that he acclimates well to captivity as I understand this is a big issue with these fish.
Anybody have any experience or advice they can share?
Much appreciated!

As I do believe that Indo-Pacific ones almost impossible so that would be my first to check. Can you get a pic?

6A26D8C2-CEA6-4D93-8F62-10D76E6330F7.jpg

Guy in store said he didn't know where the fish is from.
He thought possibly Hawaii?

Just spent the last 90 minutes acclaimating him and he seems to be swimming comfortably in his qt.

Not red sea. Looks like a grey belly. More important in my experience is the size of the fish. Larger fish are harder to get acclimated to our tanks. More important than that is whether it is eating or not. Most failures are due to the fish not eating and wasting away. If you can get it eating they are a hardy fish and do well in tanks. Many have tried clam on the half-shell to entice eating. Offer nori and try several foods. There is a string of posts on this form in the fish section just on regals. Lots of good information there. Good luck.

He's about 3.5 inches. Been eating a little but would like to see him eat more.
I've been trying different foods. Frozen Mysis, mega marine angel cubes, clams bloodworms and nori.
I will put food in the tank and he just swims around showing no interest and then he pecks at minuscule bits of food, ignoring the larger chunks.
I am so used to feeding frenzies i just want him to gobble everything up, I guess.

It has been my experience as well as others that smaller regals do better than larger ones when first acquired. This may be due to the larger fish having more time in natural environment but I do not know for sure. Different species react different in our tanks.

If the regal is eating at all you have a good start. There are a couple of members that can be of help here. [MENTION=81148]alton[/MENTION] [MENTION=788]OrionN[/MENTION]

Good luck

Spend some time looking at the thread posted by Mike above. It give a lot of information on Regal angel. Your Regal is from the Pacific rather than Indian Ocean or Red Sea.

Need to QT in comfortable situation. The problem is getting him to eat. I often put a dither fish with him, like a pair of clowns. The frenzy of the clowns eating will stimulate him to also eat a lot of the time.
Good luck.

Why is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to explain this idea
one they ship much better since their bag is not that much smaller than the adult shipped to the wholesaler. Two If you watch video's of dives in the ocean you will always see adults grazing and wonder where are the juveniles? I think they hide out in rocks until they get larger and feel more comfortable versus food for anyone that swims by? By hiding they are not picky and will feed on anything that swims by, versus that grazing adult which is grazing on the cream of the reef. And third/last while trying to make pairs year ago I started with 3 to 4" redsea regals, sometimes it took them 3 to 4 weeks to get to eat. A juvenile redsea regal took one day. Same thing with the Maldives juveniles, one to two days and they where eating. I did get one adult from Maldives thinking it would be easy to get eating and I was wrong, and it perished. I just recently bought two juveniles from the maldives and only one made it which troubled me since before that I never lost a juvenile regal angel from the maldives. One thing about this little guy is he has grown up with wrasses which can be very fast, this little regal is just as fast and a very aggressive eater.

Attachments

• regal 1-13-20.jpg
    regal 1-13-20.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
Well the little guy pretty much stopped eating 2 days ago and started spending most of his time in the pipe.
I expect to find him gone when I get home from work tonight.
Don't know what else I could have done. He just wouldn't eat no matter what I gave him.
I don't think I will ever try another regal after this.
Sorry for him.

Well the little guy pretty much stopped eating 2 days ago and started spending most of his time in the pipe.

I expect to find him gone when I get home from work tonight.

Don't know what else I could have done. He just wouldn't eat no matter what I gave him.

I don't think I will ever try another regal after this.

Sorry for him.

Do you have a LFS you could bring him to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back