McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

that guy

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any experience keeping McCosker's Flasher Wrasses. I have a 38 gallon aquarium and was hoping to keep a male and a female so the male won't lose his color. The tank is still cycling and was hoping on keeping these guys as a long term goal. There seems to be very conflicting info on these fish and I would appreciate someone with experience with these fish could help me out. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Id say Yes and no.These fish are active swimmers. and really need space. that said IF you only kept those 2 fish you could probably pull it off long term. I have read that Dr Tanaka reccomends as small as 30 gal for some flasher sp. Though they would appreciate more space. They lived in a tank with no limits....so keep that in mind

I don't like to see flashers in a tank that's any less than 3' in length. Also, a female is not necessary for a male to keep color.

As stated above, it's a requirement your tank is covered in 1/4" mesh.

I have what I bought as a Carpenter's but I think it's a Yellow fin. Color is just awsome. He flashes the other fish in tank and his reflection nonstop with no female.

^ How many filaments on the dorsal fin?

Carpenters: 2-4
Yellow fin: 1-4

The other tell-tale, is the color of the anal fin. Carpenter's is red on the outside, Yellow fin is all yellow.

Thanks for the advice guys. I hate taking fish out of the ocean and if there are aquacultured versions of the fish I would buy it. Do you guys know any species of wrasse that would work in my size tank and are aquaqultured?

I've kept McCosker's Wrasses and I really believe your 38 is large enough for two or three, especially if you are careful about what fish you add later. If you have an aggressive fish in the tank, the McCosker's will not thrive as they are somewhat timid, IMO. Presuming you intend to quarantine these, I would try to find two or better yet, three juveniles of the same size. One of them will turn into a male. They are lovely fish and beautiful to watch. You absolutely need to cover the tank with 1/4" netting in a DIY screen kit from a home improvement store. They are notorious jumpers and I'm convinced they jump because they can.

^ How many filaments on the dorsal fin?

Carpenters: 2-4
Yellow fin: 1-4

The other tell-tale, is the color of the anal fin. Carpenter's is red on the outside, Yellow fin is all yellow.

Two filaments, bright red
Anal fin is yellow with a thin red outline. Doesn''t have blue line in anal like pictures I've seen.

flash-2.jpg

I've also been considering 6 line wrasses. Do you guys think they would fair better. Also are they 100% invert safe and coral safe?

I myself do not have one but my son does. His causes no problems with any of his fish or corals.

Back