Mellipora and acropora polyps not extended

ConnorG

About 2 days ago I picked up a big frag of a tri colored mellipora and some type of acropora (not sure what type yet). I did a coral dip on them and after acclimating and then placed them in the tank in an area of good lighting and moderate flow. They came from a frag tank with not very good lighting and are now beginning to color up beautifully. But my question is, why aren't it's polyps extending on either? He are my tests:
pH- 8.2-8.3
Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia- 0
Calcium- 420
Magnesium- 1300's
kH-8
What's wrong?

Here is the mellipora:
D58DB411-0730-4542-A3AF-58058284BEBE-17343-00001410FA7B5DA4.jpg

Acro:
8F5C7070-12FE-4414-879A-6FF1163FE19E-17343-0000141106C6BFD9.jpg

how long have they been in the tank? possible red bugs could irritate millis! check and see!

I just noticed what seems to b the tissue/coloring of the millipora peeling off! And the back is completely bare!
99773F91-899F-4237-B075-BD1479AF512A-17492-0000141FD62D280B.jpg

37D63DD7-2246-4C53-A79D-0C973DC09481-17492-0000141FFED3CC3D.jpg

what did u dip them in ?

Id say a crab or AEFW !

the green Birdsnest seems fine so cant be water parameter Issues. but on the last pic, do you also notice some polyps missing at the bottom of the green birdsnest ? or is that just the pic >?

The millipora looks like it's toast. You are losing tissue quickly. The tricolor frag may recover though. It's possible the milli was already starting to die off when you got it. Another possibility was light acclimation. You said the tank they came from was poorly lit so maybe it was stress from light acclimation. Usually you want to acclimate them to your lighting by moving them from lower light to higher light in the tank over a couple days or weeks.

Check to see that you mixed the dip appropriately since most dips are to be used once diluted down. If a coral dip is too concentrated it can kill off an already stressed coral.

You may want to check your salinity since it wasn't listed. It wouldn't be a bad idea having the lfs do a water test for you if they didn't already do the first test. Test kits do go bad with time.

Birdsnests can typically lose some polyps/tissue near the base do to lack of good water flow. A lot of birdsnests will do this as they get bigger and water flow doesn't reach all the portions of the coral as well.

If it is rtn will it spread to other corals? I had some Alk swings a while back before mine started, so I'm guessing that is what's wrong. I know aefw can spread along with red bugs, but I'm not sure about rtn.
If we frag the healthy parts, should we leave the parts that are sick and see if they recover or just trash them. Thanks for your help.

ConnorG, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, it just looks like we have some of the same issues going on. I'll start my own thread if you would like me to, just let me know. I'm hoping some of my questions can help you and vice versa. Thanks.

The millipora looks like it's toast. You are losing tissue quickly. The tricolor frag may recover though. It's possible the milli was already starting to die off when you got it. Another possibility was light acclimation. You said the tank they came from was poorly lit so maybe it was stress from light acclimation. Usually you want to acclimate them to your lighting by moving them from lower light to higher light in the tank over a couple days or weeks.

Check to see that you mixed the dip appropriately since most dips are to be used once diluted down. If a coral dip is too concentrated it can kill off an already stressed coral.

You may want to check your salinity since it wasn't listed. It wouldn't be a bad idea having the lfs do a water test for you if they didn't already do the first test. Test kits do go bad with time.

Birdsnests can typically lose some polyps/tissue near the base do to lack of good water flow. A lot of birdsnests will do this as they get bigger and water flow doesn't reach all the portions of the coral as well.

Yup, what he said. ^^^^

I would add that IME that pocillapora looking birdnest will also tolerate a lot more Phosphate than those acros will. So I would confirm where that level is also.

Sometimes they just don't recover from the stress of being transported, dipped, and placed into another tank with different flow and lighting.

Been there. Sucks when they do that.

No problem captjab I am interested to see how yours doe no new to start a new thread since we hav basically the same problem:)

From what I've read and seen on this thread so far Connor, I'd say frag the good pieces and try to salvage them.
One thing I've been doing the past week is adding Amino and some of the corals that were looking rough are starting to look a little better. It could be coincidence, but I'm going to continue to do it because it sure doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
Maybe someone with more experience could chime in on the dosing of Amino.

Back