Memory Card for her new camera ?

strout

I just bought my better half a new Nikon D7000 camera, the kit comes with a 32GB memory card. I want to buy her a second card, this camera will hold two cards. I know very little about cameras and memory cards, after doing a lot of checking on memory cards, I still :crazy1: know very little. Can anyone give me some good advice on what kind of a memory card I should get?

Buy a brand you've heard of.
I'd like to second this and add buy it from a reputable dealer. I've seen quite a few counterfeit memory cards in my day, the worst of which was a 4gb that was labelled and recognized as a 32 gb card by the computer and camera. But it just stored 4gb of data and looped back to the beginning and started overwriting your first files.

We or rather she bought a few cards from Wal Mart for her Kodak, a Sun Disk and a MSM card. They have both worked fine in her sort of elcheapo camera. The more I got into checking into cards the last two days, the more I have found out its not as straight foward as just picking out a card brand. They have type 2 cards up to a size type 10 cards, that I have seen. I have no idea on what type card I need to be looking at, how many GBs I should be looking at. I have done some online checking on a few card brands and type of cards (numbers) One review says this is a good card and then two reviews later someone says it looses data or corupts data. I just figured someone here could point me in the right direction as to what I need to be looking at.

Read the manual.

The camera won't be here till Monday, I was just trying to go ahead and get the second memory card ordered for her to put in her new camera when it got here. Sorry I asked. Guess I messed up asking such a stupid question.

No worries. Look up the camera on bhphotovideo.com see what kind of card they recommend as an accessory.

Not an expert but... The higher the class 2-10 the faster it will write to the card. I own a few diffrent brands and all have work great for me. SanDisk extreme III, Ultra II and a kingstone x133. With a D7000 I would look to see what the biggest memory card capacity it will read and buy that one or buy multiple smaller ones. I would look at the read and write speed as my top priority.

Thanks for that info. I found a pretty good You tube video on the subject by Fro knows photo, pretty much answered my questions. The guy that did the video is pretty cool :)

I usually have a selection of cards depending on what I'm shooting. If she's going to be shooting sports or somewhere where she'll be taking a lot of pictures on burst, you'll need a faster card. Transcend makes some fast cards at pretty good prices. I've bought have one of their 600x UDMA cards, and I've had no problems with it. I also grabbed one of their 133x as a backup and when I'm doing something like landscapes where I don't need the speed. The Sandisk Extremes are excellent cards. Kingstons I've heard are great cards, but they tend to be a bit overpriced. Another I really like are the Lexar Professional series. I have one of the non-UDMA cards, and I think it's faster than my Transcend. Speaking of which, make sure the camera supports UDMA before you buy one of those cards. I'm almost certain the Nikon 7000 does.

Now, on the other end, if your wife isn't going to be shooting fast action, a 600x professional card is a bit of overkill. I'd just go with a Transcend, Sandisk or Lexar with a speed around 133x-400x (generally whatever's on sale at New Egg) and call it good.

Thanks for all of the advice, I will put it to good use. Its her Christmas present but I may get into this a bit LOL I paid enough for all of this, I might as well.

Amazon's deal of the day is the transcend "class 10" sdhc card. The 16gb is $15.99 and the 32gb is $39.99. Just FYI.

Jesse

Back