metal halide dead?

raymond4133

How do you know when a metal halide is dead or lived past it's recommended 1 year mark.....

Because.... i just picked up 5 175 watt Hamilton 10K bulbs from a guy and i know he probalby had used them but i dont know for how long....All of them have an identical black coloring near the bottom of the bulb near the gray socket.....Does this mean the bulbs suck now....

No it doesnt mean the bulb is finished, it is almost impossible to tell how long a bulb has been used for. Putting in old bulbs can lead to alot of algae problems, and no one wants that.
If you are really un easy about it, I would buy new bulbs.

here check these pics out....They look like the lamp is dead or no use but is it true....I dont think because they are black around the screw base that means they have gone bad.....I wish i could test it out first hand but i still havent bought the actual retro kit or fixture....

I have 5 exact same 10k hamiton bulbs and they all have identical black casts near the screw of the bulb....

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/raymo.../pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/raymond4133/my_photos

Back