griss’ Battle with Cyano - all the Things I’ve Tried

Here’s the last 24 hrs pH.

Attachments

• IMG_4165.png
    IMG_4165.png
    189.7 KB · Views: 11
Are you keeping an eye on your alkalinity?

You said it's 40b with 10gal sump, so I'm generously saying 40 gallons system volume. At a drop per second, that's 3ml a minute, 1440 minutes in 24hrs, that's 4.32L (1.14 US gallons) of kalk per day, so you are adding 3.25dKh per day just in kalk.

Last 24 hrs on pH. Tank is still looking fantastic. I need to order some phone camera filters so I can post accurate pics.
I highly recommend these! I’ve attached a screenshot in case the link doesn’t work 🙂

Orphek Coral Lens – Kit for All Smartphones – 4 Lens Included: Macro, CPL 37mm Polarized, 15,000k Orange, 20,000k Yellow – Universal ... Amazon.com

Attachments

• IMG_4104.png
    IMG_4104.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
Are you keeping an eye on your alkalinity?

You said it's 40b with 10gal sump, so I'm generously saying 40 gallons system volume. At a drop per second, that's 3ml a minute, 1440 minutes in 24hrs, that's 4.32L (1.14 US gallons) of kalk per day, so you are adding 3.25dKh per day just in kalk.
Yes Sean, I am. Alk is good. Thanks for making sure and making me think about it again. I’ll post some test results here in a few minutes.

@kharmaguru Sean, I should have noted that I’m mixing a pretty weak kalk. I mix 1 Tbsp wages pickling lime in a gallon of RODI, and let it settle. Then, pour off the top to two 1/2 gallon jugs and let settle. Then, pour off those two 1/2 gallons to other 1/2 gallons. This allows me to pour kalk into the Dripper without worrying about going too strong.

That said, my Alk on Oct 7 was 11.5. Tested just now and I’m at 11.65 using Salifert.

Last edited:
Calibrated my pH probe today. After calibration was sitting at 8.3. Noticed I needed to prune the fuge. Took out about a sandwich bag of Caulerpa. PH dropped to 7.8 after I did that. Dripping kalk to counter that.

Guessing I stirred up some hydrogen sulfide pulling the macros out causing the pH to drop.

Well, I’m getting some Cyano again🙄. Haven’t changed anything other than adding the Dottyback, Birdsnest and T. Maxima?

Cyano can be frustrating and sorry you are having to deal with that.
Thanks Dawn. Thinking back, I did make a change. I got some pellet food and have been adding that every other day to the frozen foods I feed daily. Might cut the pellets out and see what happens.

Back