MH Reflector Help

rskarvan

Received these MH reflectors from a friend who had no use for them. They have been laying around for a while, but I don't believe they've ever been used. I was hoping someone could recommend bulbs and ballasts for each of these reflectors. There are two of them but they are apparently different.
They will be going over a 6ftx2ftx1ft tall frag tank. I will likely purchase another reflector for the other third of the tank, but I was wondering what others would have to say about suggestions for wattage and hanging height since the tank is very shallow and 12" deep at the most. Perhaps I could get away with just these two hung higher with supplemental LED strips? Was thinking about 10000K bulbs for growth, but the idea of a bluer MH bulb appeals to me, so I might try one of each...I will likely have mainly SPS in this frag tank, but I don't see any reason to desire PAR levels over 500 anywhere but at the top of the tank. Looking for a nice spread with ~250 PAR minimum.

One reflector already has a 10000K bulb in it; not sure of the brand, but I have attached pictures.

I need to purchase ballasts...was thinking of getting the LuXcore, but wasn't sure which ballast would be necessary (150-250W or 250-400W). Was thinking the 150-250W would be sufficient due the the print on one of the reflectors, but I have no idea about the other one...No idea on brands of the reflectors either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Please let me know if you have any questions.
e004e06a345afc24fbc9919cbb9a164b.jpg

4fd5a8ec685f22bc6d7535ba4ec281e0.jpg
a1fe40b241907a70552e0ff3962b1c2e.jpg
20c094a48963b2348a2207bae45257c1.jpg
41f09dc703c6054c71a91af4e958e45f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

150W HQI.

150W 14K Phoenix and ANSI M81 are the best-of-breed light for those. 300 PAR will be no problem. Those should be good for up to a 20 inch deep tank.

You need to use the glass. If they don't have any, get some made - tempered. These bulbs do not filter out the UVB which can be REALLY harmful.

^
Agreed..
I think I would get a third over a 6 foot tank, though. Better spread..
Or hang them a bit closer and keep the low light stuff off to the sides..

150W HQI.

150W 14K Phoenix and ANSI M81 are the best-of-breed light for those. 300 PAR will be no problem. Those should be good for up to a 20 inch deep tank.

You need to use the glass. If they don't have any, get some made - tempered. These bulbs do not filter out the UVB which can be REALLY harmful.

I have the glass, just didn't include them in pictures. Thanks for the tips!

Would a more suitable ballast be the LuXcore 150-250W or the LuXcore 250-400W?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, neither of those ballasts are correct. Get an ANSI M81. Call Hamilton - they have them.

ballast

ballast

No, neither of those ballasts are correct. Get an ANSI M81. Call Hamilton - they have them.

I'm curious as to what difference is...my lumatek pulls 168w on kill-o-watt at the wall on the 150w setting with phoenix.

I don't know too much of the manf details and electronics, but they look different and have lower output on an electronic of any type than a M81. Also, the bulbs were made to run on M81.

Magnetic ballasts fire bulbs differently than electronic ones. Some bulbs look better on a magnetic ballast than electronic.

As a general rule magnetic ballasts tend to get a little more oomph out of bulbs and they tend to burn a little whiter. This is not true for all of them though.

Whiskey

Several years ago, I did a side by side test running Radium 400W. One ran on my Lumenarc and the other was on an M81. At initial firing, the M81 seemed whiter but once the bulbs ran for 15 minutes, I really couldn't tell the difference. That said, I was just eyeballing so nothing scientific here.

My biggest issue with M81 ballasts are their size and heat. When I lived on the east coast and had a basement, it wasn't a problem but here in the desert, I didn't want a couple of space heaters running in my den during July.

M81 is only 150W. How can driving a 400W bulb with a 150W ballast expect colors to look like they would using the correct ballast, which most people use a 430W Son Agra ballast... or at least a 400W MH ballast.

My error. It was not an m81. Just looked it up. It was a Hamilton 400w hqi.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back