MH T-5 hybrid question

mapes5

Hoping I reached the right forum here, but I have a question for anyone that has experience with MH, T-5 hybrid lighting setups.

So, I have a 72g bow front with two 250w 12k MHs, two T-5's, & an old 2013 hydra (which I never use). The MH bulbs are relatively new (maybe a few months old), but my t-5 bulbs were due for a replacement. They were pretty bright, and somewhat white in color (They came with the tank when I bought it last October and I don't know the exact type of t-5 bulb). With all of that said, I decided I wanted a little more pop to my coral and went with two 'Blue Plus ATI' T-5 bulbs. When I installed them the MHs were still running, and there wasn't much reaction from my fish, buttt when the MHs turned off my fish went wild for a little. My tang swam into his cave, and one of my wrasses buried himself in the sand like he was going to bed. It has been about an hour now and both fish came back out, which I fed them (they ate like normal). I guess I have two questions:

1. Will the fish adjust to the new spectrum or should I exchange one bulb and get a whiter color?
2. Will my coral have negative reaction from the drastic change in spectrum, meaning that I should get one whiter bulb?

(The tank is mainly SPS with some LPS and softies)

Thank you!!

You'll be fine, the fish will get use to the new lamps.

FWIW, I run (2) 250w DE MH Phoenix 14K and (4) 54w T5's over my 120. These are (2) ATI Coral Plus, & (2) ATI True Actinics. When the MH kick on, the fish scramble for a few seconds, same happens when the MH turn off. Funny thing, it only bothers my Purple Tang and Mimic Tang. All the rest are oblivious.

Awesome, thank you, that makes me feel better.

One last thing, my sps colonies wont have adverse affects from the change in spectrum? I run the t-5s one hour before & after the MHs.

None. With (2) 250W MH over a 72g, you could even turn off the T5's durning the day and the corals wouldn't even know the difference. Some people do just that.
Some propagation facilities don't use T5's at all. They still get fantastic growth.

I keep mine running like you, 2hrs before and after.
T5's 11am - 10pm
MH 1pm - 8pm

Back