MH vs T5 or both???

clugo

Guys, I've made my decision on tank size now I need your help selecting my lights.

I'm going with a marineland 48x24x24 reef ready tank. I want it to be a mixed reef tank w/ sps and lps.

What do you recommend? I don't think I'm going w/ LEDs on this build.

sirreal63

Go Spurs Go!!!
Premium Member
Both, one of the Geismann, AquaMedic or Hamilton 250 watt fixtures with T5's would allow you to keep anything you wanted in the tank.

Reef264

Where's The Reef?
I run the Hamilton 250w fixture and it's a fine piece of Equiptment.I have another 250w MH over the other side that uses a spider reflector, it's no comparison to the Hamilton.
I use both though.MH+T-5

reefer_mon

Why no LEDs, life on bulb replacement is a no brainer! Expensive in the beginning but save in the long run I think.
446c8d1a-cfb0-5c57.jpg
Food for thought.

Currently:
125G 6 ft. GLASS + 55G LONG SUMP/REFUGIUM

Sent from my iPhone

deathmatch782

Premium Aquatics has the Maristar 2 introduction package on sale through today. Comes with bulbs and ballast, plug and play.
I picked mine up this month.

deathmatch782

Premium Aquatics has the Maristar 2 introduction package on sale through today. Comes with bulbs and ballast, plug and play.
I picked mine up this month.

110galreef

things to consider....

If you want typical dusk to dawn effect and want/need to have your tank lit for like 9-11hrs(viewing reasons)....
You will want both. Run T-5's for an hr or so, then all, then t-5's again.

If your not concerned as to the above. 2 250w MH's are plenty for anything.

Other points to consider. If you get a 48" fixture, they become very difficult to re sell if you change your mind down the road. Plus shipping is a pain. But they usally are all inone units now with the actinics, MH's as well as moonlights. But you will porbably spend a littl more than piecing it together.

If you go with individual ballast and reflectors you can easily resell them.

Canopy or not? If not than a sleek looking fixture or LED setup will look better than individual reflectors and wires all over.