MH vs T5 or both???

clugo

Guys, I've made my decision on tank size now I need your help selecting my lights.

I'm going with a marineland 48x24x24 reef ready tank. I want it to be a mixed reef tank w/ sps and lps.

What do you recommend? I don't think I'm going w/ LEDs on this build.

Both, one of the Geismann, AquaMedic or Hamilton 250 watt fixtures with T5's would allow you to keep anything you wanted in the tank.

I run the Hamilton 250w fixture and it's a fine piece of Equiptment.I have another 250w MH over the other side that uses a spider reflector, it's no comparison to the Hamilton.
I use both though.MH+T-5

Why no LEDs, life on bulb replacement is a no brainer! Expensive in the beginning but save in the long run I think.
446c8d1a-cfb0-5c57.jpg
Food for thought.

Currently:
125G 6 ft. GLASS + 55G LONG SUMP/REFUGIUM

Sent from my iPhone

Premium Aquatics has the Maristar 2 introduction package on sale through today. Comes with bulbs and ballast, plug and play.
I picked mine up this month.

Premium Aquatics has the Maristar 2 introduction package on sale through today. Comes with bulbs and ballast, plug and play.
I picked mine up this month.

things to consider....

If you want typical dusk to dawn effect and want/need to have your tank lit for like 9-11hrs(viewing reasons)....
You will want both. Run T-5's for an hr or so, then all, then t-5's again.

If your not concerned as to the above. 2 250w MH's are plenty for anything.

Other points to consider. If you get a 48" fixture, they become very difficult to re sell if you change your mind down the road. Plus shipping is a pain. But they usally are all inone units now with the actinics, MH's as well as moonlights. But you will porbably spend a littl more than piecing it together.

If you go with individual ballast and reflectors you can easily resell them.

Canopy or not? If not than a sleek looking fixture or LED setup will look better than individual reflectors and wires all over.

Back