MHs vs T5's, would like all opinions

codydemmel4

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for as many opinions as possible on this. I am looking to buy a 180 gallon tank and I have two options that are for sale, both are the exact same price. Both have corner overflows and are the exact same dimensions. The first one has aluminum triming on the tank and the stand and canopy are very nice. The only reason why I am considering the second one over the first is I know NOTHING about MH's and the second one are the exact lights that I wanted to grow SPS in my 180 which is the sunpower 60" 8 bulbs.

1: The one comes with a tank, stand, canopy with two built in 400w MH's, and he also is including a mag 18 return pump.
These are the MH, I know nothing about them: https://www.reefspecialty.com/400-w...en-bright-reflector-reeflux-bulb-ballast.html only difference he said is that his are bigger, that model is a 16" and his is a 20". The canopy also comes with 2 built in fans next to the lights.

2: The other comes with a tank, stand and the light is what I was originally looking for which is a 8 bulb 60 inch sunpower ATI t5 light.

I am having a hard decision on which one to pick as they are pretty much the exact same besides the light and I thought the T5's were better but now it sounds like I may be wrong, I guess thats because I never knew anything about T5's.

I greatly appreciate any insight on what light will grow SPS better. I know the MH well be more expensive per month but around how much more expensive? I plan to run them for around 10 hours a day. I also want to have a blue hint to my tank and I wasnt sure if I could get that with MH or not.

Thanks so much

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer a combo of the two.
Basically I'd supplement MH with T5.
If I had mostly T5, i'd supp with some LED.

MH is very contrasty. Good coverage though. And you get that shimmer. To me this is the closest thing to sunlight as far as looks. They will run hotter.
T5 has even better spread, but its a very soft light with no shadows and no shimmer. All T5 is too flat for me, but many people like it. And sps seem to grow/color up differently in the tanks I've seen.
The combo gives you the shimmer and contrast of the MH with the extra spread from the t5 helping fill in the shadows.

I like the light blanket that t5ho provides. Your sps encrusted bases, undersides of branches, and innermost portions of colonies still get light, color, and polyp extension.

But since one tank already comes with large lumen bright reflectors...I would go with that one and then purchase a couple of the Hamilton or giesemann 2 bulb t5ho retrofit kits to supplement those halides.

I agree. Use both when you have the option. You get a certain degree of color and shimmer out of MH that cannot be replicated by any other light source. And those reflectors are absolutely top end.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the insight. I do plan on adding some LEDS if I would get the T5's, to add some shimmer. I would probably just add a couple rows of blue lights so I can also run them at night for some cool colors.

I do not know how I would retro fit some T5's into the MH as from the pictures he sent me it looks like there is no room inside the canopy for T5's.

I am leaning towards the T5 setup even thought I think I am getting much better value with the MH setup as the tank, stand and canopy are very very nice and are custom made when the other just looks like a setup you'd get at a fish store. still very nice but not quite as nice. I also would get a mag 18 in the MH setup too. Both are selling it for $700 which I think is a great deal with no matter which setup I go with.

Make no mistake, the t5ho alone can get it done so you won't be making a bad choice there.

Make no mistake, the t5ho alone can get it done so you won't be making a bad choice there.

I do really like a shimmer though so if I could get some help from a friend and make a custom 60" LED strip it could be worth it to get some shimmer and also more pop out of my corals if I could add a LED to the T5 setup.

For the MH, I just do not see any room for T5s.

I am definitely leaning towards the T5s but I greatly appreciate the opinions and thoughts.

Back