Micro hubble help

mms_citrus

Having a problem with micro bubbles. Well I assume it is. We just moved the tank. I installed new pumps and redid the plumbing. Using same skimmer. I'm running an external return pump this time. I have checked the pump for vacuum leak and I went ahead and resealed it for the hell of it cause it's Chinese and who knows.

I found 1 leaking pipe joint but it's dripping, 1 drip a minute or so. I will repair in the morning. If this joint were the problem it would not be leaking because it would be siphoning in air right? Or would it leak and siphon air at same time.

I'll get some ppictures of the stuffs. I haven't routed any wiring. It's a mess don't judge me. It's all plugged into power bars siting on a stool for testing :)

I have a baffle before the return chamber. I was thinking of installing another before the fuge but I don't think baffles are my issue. The sump is a Frankensump. I put 2 dumps together and modified them. You can see how water transfers from the sock area to the fuge. There are also 2 1" bulkheads at the bottom to transfer water from the sock area to the fuge. I'm using the original drains on the 210. I have pump speed set 1 speed below overwhelming the drains and creating temporary siphons.
This is a new sump setup for this tank. So I cannot say if it worked before or not.
The last photo is the elbow way in the back that is leaking. It's 1 foot above the pump and 5 feet from max head height.

I think that covers it. Point out all my mistakes and stuff please help :)

Attachments

• 20160105_215254.jpg
    20160105_215254.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160105_215127.jpg
    20160105_215127.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160105_215106.jpg
    20160105_215106.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160105_221948.jpg
    20160105_221948.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Baffles may not be the problem but properly positioned baffles before the return can expose them to the surface and pop the bubbles before the enter the tank.

Basically three baffles placed low-high-low, the water flows over the first under the second and over the third entering the return chamber.

I can't c the pics but Jed is correct. Do u have a lot of bubbles in the sump before the pump? U can also use a sponge on the outlet of the skimmer to stop the bubbles from skimmer if u r getting some

Does the intake of the pump have a 90 down? You don't need baffles. I have never had a sump with a baffle on any of my 10 plus tanks over the years and no microbubbles.

Well one quick test would be simply to turn the skimmer off. If the bubbles are gone then its simply something in the sump that needs to be addressed. If they are there then so be it. But Roger had a good question and it applies here also, do you see any bubbles being pulled into the return pump? A really bright flash light is invaluable in this case to see small bubbles, sometimes they are so small you really cant see em until they are in the display.

Let us know what you find.

Had the bubbles before I put the skimmer in. I can see them coming from the sock area into the fuge area and then thru the baffle.to.the pump. I'm gonna add some more baffles I think. Right now I only have over under return suction. I'll install a set before the fuge and fix the set after the fuge before the pump. I didn't have this problem when I ran this tank before.
No down 90 on return intake. It's at the very bottom of the sump. I'll try to get a few better picture.

If the flow thru my sump is to high would this agravate the problem? The pump is on the lowest flow.setting right now, it's approximately 1300 gph at 0 ft, i have 6ft head, plenty slow imo.

Last edited:
Back