Microbubbles and mantis shrimp...

mandarin chick

I am upgrading my skimmer, and the new one is putting a moderate amount of microbubbles back into the tank. Apparently after it is broken in, this will stop. In the interim, are the bubbles in the tank detrimental to my mantis?

thanks!

Not really a problem for stomatopods since they don't have spaces where the bubbles can be trapped. This is a much more serious problem with Cephalopods and fish.

On the other hand, I have seen stomatopods get the bends!

Roy

Wow. It never occured to me that Stomatopods would ge tthe bends. When you are bringing them up from significant depth (don't know much about diving so I don't really know how deep that is....) do you have to take pauses to let the pressure equalize like a human diver?

Again, I don't really know anything about diving....

Without going in to diving physics, the stomatopods that I saw generate gas bubbles in their body had been held for 24 hours inside the Aquarius Marine Habitat in Key Largo, FL. I collected them at 20 m and stupidly brought them inside the habitat for the night where they saturated with nitrogen. When divers took them to the surface the next day, the nitrogen bubbled out of solution and killed them. Animals left outside the habitat were fine.

Roy

still bubbles coming from the skimmer despite sponges, etc. as suggested by others. steve seems to be ok with it....

thanks for the input

Back