Microbubbles being introduce into tank from the sump

hugabone

Premium Member
I am cycling my newly setup tank but have microbubbles. I dont have a skimmer yet. I can see the bubbles coming out of the return line inside the tank. How can I reduce this?

Absolutely nothing. But there are bubbles on the top of the water in the sump. The pipe is about 6" below the water line, but even when the water level was low, I still had the bubbles.

i would guess that the flow is to quick going in and out of the sump...adding something in there (baffles, LR) might help

just my $.02

Also try adding some sponges( which you will have to rinse regularly to avoid nitrate problems) and a filter sock. Both will helpo reduce the bubbles. But definaltely start by adding baffles or LR, as Radioheed stated, to break the fall of water into the sump.

Also if the return line is sucking air in somewhere between the sump and the tank, this would produce microbubbles. Check all your fittings.

I had to add a filter sock to mine to reduce the amount of bubbles coming from the overflow. They work well, but need to be changed frequently as they get full of particles quickly. Most people who use socks use 100 micron size. Smaller than that and they get full even quicker. You can also soak them in bleach water to clean and reuse them.

I was also thinking I could have a leak in my return line somewhere. The drain is producing alot of bubbles into the sump.

Back