microbubbles... why? How to get reduce? Impact on tank.

NancyT3

Good morning!
Another newbie question.... I have a 140 gal tank, set up Apr 20. I have an AS-200 e shopps skimmer (currently I have it turned off to see if it made a difference and it didn't), A refugium with chaeta in it, enough algae for about 1 million snails and allegedly pods. In the DT currently, 1 red knob sea star, 1 damsel, 1 goby, 2 clowns, a tux urchin, and 3 nems ( 1 very large and 2 small - all bubble tips) and 5 hermit crabs.
Water chemistry is 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, Phos <0.25, Ph 8, temp 79-80, Salinity 30-31 ppm.

My tank, after adding the invertebrates, for whatever reason, is now producing microbubbles. I can't figure out how to get rid of them. I changed the sock filter, I repositioned the black sponge filter; the water is at the right levels, I turned off the skimmer, I had the skimmer on and raised it so it wasn't so deep in the water. Any troubleshooting advice is appreciated. Also - how often, if ever do you change the sponge filter and how often, if ever do you rinse/ clean it? I haven't done that yet ever.... I do change the filter sock every 5-7 days, and am doing water changes now every other week about 10%.

Thank you for your advice, as always.
Nancy

Do you have any powerheads or wavemakers in the tank? They may be sucking air from the top of the tank. Also my return nozzle if not repositioned correctly can cause air to get sucked into the tank as well

Do you have any powerheads or wavemakers in the tank? They may be sucking air from the top of the tank. Also my return nozzle if not repositioned correctly can cause air to get sucked into the tank as well
That would be my starting point as well. A local reefer I've been trying to help out is having the same issue. We've ruled out just about everything and I'm speculating that the return line (from sump to tank) may have a micro-hole in it that's pulling in air venturi style.

That would be my starting point as well. A local reefer I've been trying to help out is having the same issue. We've ruled out just about everything and I'm speculating that the return line (from sump to tank) may have a micro-hole in it that's pulling in air venturi style.

That was my thought a hole in the plumbing or fitting not tight.

Back