Mithrodia fisheri sea star

Kessler

Does anyone have any info on these sea stars? I've seen them at my LFS and was wondering what their diet and such is like.
They looked like this as shown on John Hoover's website, so I'm fairly certain it is the same species.
mithrodia_large_makua.jpg

Here's a related star that I've found that said it feeds on detritus and inverts, not reef safe. My tank won't have any corals except zoas, so I'm wondering if it'll be safe to keep it.

in my expirence with the 2 starfish i have kept i was striving for better water quality and less alge on the glass and in doing so i basically starved both starfish i kept to death over a 6mos period

Huh... What type of stars were you raising? I know that some are detritovores and I was hoping this is the case with this guy because my CUC is fairly small.

I think its a type of linkica. Gets around a foot in diameter. Probably reef safe, not sure, if you have corals I'd return it.

From the OP experience, I'm guessing fromia correct? Fromias ONLY eat an invisible film algae present in well established (over a year) aquariums. When I moved mine it died.

The main difference I see with the linckias are the little nubs on them and the bands. Only zoas, so I'll see how it does.

Back