Mix of Anthia species?

houstonreefer20

I wanted to get some advice regarding mixing of species of Anthias.

Long story short, I have a 150 gallon tank with a few tangs and planning to add Anthias.

I ordered a school of 6 lyretails that I plan to add, and a friend now unexpectedly has a few Anthias for me as well - 2 disbars, 2 ignitus, 2 purple queens.

So in total, 4 species of anthias, 12 fish total. Is it a good idea to mix all these? I know the disbar/ignitus/purple queens get along fine and are from the same tank. It's the addition of lyretails that I'm not sure of. Thoughts?

I would stay with one species, 1 male and 3-5 females with that size tank. Also you may run into a problem trying to introduce them with established tangs already in the tank.

There is a chance the lyretails will bully the other anthias. IME tangs don't care about anthias.

So yall telling me that none of your few tangs is going to give them some type of welcome to the tank moment? So why is it always suggested to add Tangs last to a tank?

IME theres a lot less drama without tangs when you keep the smaller, more timid anthias.

For lyretails, adults can usually recover quickly from bossy or bold tangs, they're less likely to be intimidated to the point that they stop feeding. But some species, eg ventralis, hide and stop feeding when harassed by tangs.

If mixing, harems can be maintained when anthias with similar temperaments are mixed. If I were the OP I'd skip purple queens and focus on the hardier species only, especially if you're new to anthias

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

:wave:

I hope OP doesn't mind if I pile onto this thread but was going to post a similar one...

What about adding Carberryi anthias to a 300DD that has lyretail (2 male, 4 female - which started with just 1 of them being male 2 years ago). Have not seen any violence with having 2 males thus far. Any experience mixing these anthias?

Last edited:
I actually like mixing anthia species. Definitely cuts down on aggression on individuals, and the group seems to keep each other in check. I have lyretails, dispars, cranberries and Bartlett (one Bartlett, incidentally my favorite anthia that I have kept, but they seem to whittle each other down over time). Mine are in a 150 with tangs (tangs were there first). I always drop groups of fish in together (4 or so), which seems to be good in quarantine and mitigate aggression towards newcomers when they go in the display. Good luck!

IME, I have had no problem introducing a group of Anthias to a DT with Tangs. I have also not had any issues with mixing multipe species either. Although, admittedly I have stayed away from Lyretails because of their reputation to be relatively aggressive.

Back