Mixing Halichoeres Wrasses

Zionas

Hello all, after some further research, I have decided that adding a Bodianus spp. Hogfish isn't a good idea after all. Before I thought they were really pretty and add utility to the tank by being a pest controller, but some further reading has led to the realization that they aren't as good at it compared to the old fashioned Halichoeres spp. Wrasses, plus their aggression meaning it's hard for me to add more wrasses in the future should I choose to.

So, I've been revisiting the Halichoeres genus again and this time I've really started appreciating the number of beauties among them. I would really like to keep more than one species, does that usually tend to work out? Ideally I would be introducing all of them at the same time.

I want a:

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Christmas Wrasse (H. Claudia or H. Ornatissimus)

Melanurus Wrasse

They'll likely be among the first fish in my tank, are they peaceful and durable enough as first fish?

Also, since I know they're sand burrowers (would a 2-3" sand bed be enough?), will they cause trouble for my gobies that I plan to add? I've settled on a Yellow Watchman and an Orange Spot Shrimp Goby.

Just can't wait for this virus to be over!

I had a melanurus wrasse. It didn't mess with anything. I didn't care for new Wrasses, but otherwise was fine with the other established ones. Great fish. I had it in 3" sand bed.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

They seem pretty peaceful for the most part it seems.

What happened to yours? How did you lose it?

Lots of beauties among this genus and from what I know they’re less fragile than some of the Fairies and Flashers.

I had it with a leopard Wrasse, a flasher and a couple fairies. I broke my tank down when I moved years ago. I had it for years. It was a tough fish and vicious with bristle worms. I would definitely get it again. I didn't have much experience with those other Wrasses. I would add it later if other Wrasses will be added. It may also intimidate other small fish like Gramma or baslets, etc. But I never thought it was too a concerning point.

I had it with a leopard Wrasse, a flasher and a couple fairies. I broke my tank down when I moved years ago. I had it for years. It was a tough fish and vicious with bristle worms. I would definitely get it again. I didn't have much experience with those other Wrasses. I would add it later if other Wrasses will be added. It may also intimidate other small fish like Gramma or baslets, etc. But I never thought it was too a concerning point.

Their utility is also a big plus to me. The Hogfish are really pretty but I'm going for a mostly peaceful tank with at most a couple of semi-aggressive fish, and I heard they tend to bully other wrasses.

Getting a couple of Halichoeres will add some really nice color and utility to my tank.

i've had a couple of melanarus wrasses in the past. Great fish, they eat flatworms btw. I have read that Halichoeres do not do well with other Halichoeres species. I guess if you're tank is huge you probably won't have a problem but i would do more research.

Some Halichoeres do well while others are delicate ime so do your research. Of those on your list I have kept the yellow coris and it is one of the hardy species.
I have kept fish from that genus together as juveniles but I suspect as they get older and turn into males they would fight.
Myles

Ideally I would want a Yellow Coris, a Yellow and Purple (Yellow body white belly), a Melanurus and a Christmas Wrasse (which species is the best?) to have a bit of variety.

However, in preparation for the worst case scenario if supply chains do not recover any time soon, I’ll have to settle for a small group of Yellow Coris and they’re the most common. Can I safely keep 2-4 Yellow Coris together as a pair to small group if I add them simultaneously and add them small?

I wouldn't expect any issues with that combination. Doesn't mean it can't happen though and as they mature there "might" be issues. Another atractive choice might be a Radiant Wrasse, Halichoeres iridis.

I wouldn't expect any issues with that combination. Doesn't mean it can't happen though and as they mature there "might" be issues. Another atractive choice might be a Radiant Wrasse, Halichoeres iridis.

LiveAquaria says "œExpert Only" so I've shyed away from that one. Have you found them to be difficult compared to the other Halichoeres?

I have tried several Radiants and it did not go well. Each seemed to be doing fine but somewhere between 15-18 months they would deteriorate so I will not try them again even though I absolutely love them.
Never tried a pair or group of the yellow coris. I suspect it would work for a while but small wrasses do not stay small and once you have 2 males I would guess a war would break out. Just guessing as I have never done it.
Myles

I have tried several Radiants and it did not go well. Each seemed to be doing fine but somewhere between 15-18 months they would deteriorate so I will not try them again even though I absolutely love them.
Never tried a pair or group of the yellow coris. I suspect it would work for a while but small wrasses do not stay small and once you have 2 males I would guess a war would break out. Just guessing as I have never done it.
Myles

Guess I’ll give the Radiant a pass.

I consulted evolved (Hunter) on keeping multiple Yellow Wrasses, he said it’s not a good idea and he also thinks Yellow and Purple wrasses will treat the Yellow Coris as one of their own. I’ have to see which other options I have for smaller Halichoeres to go with the Yellow once I start my tank. For now, only a single yellow can be more or less confirmed in its availability.

Curious, I've had what I would consider decent success with the couple of Radiants I've tried in the last few years. One jumped and landed on the glass cross support (which I wouldn't say is specific to them). One is going on 3 years now and is in a reef system with a 4 spot (H. trispilis) and a dwarf moray so it gets NLS pellets several times a day and what ever is left over from feeding the eel twice a week (which probably isn't much since there's 3 large brittle stars that always come out when the eel is fed).

I am envious of Timfish. I think the radiant is a gorgeous wrasse, peaceful, and fascinating behavior which is why I tried 3x. I think they were from Divers Den which usually gets good fish so I didn't think it was a question of poor fish quality.
I would listen to Hunter on any question about wrasses-if he says don't try a group then don't try it.
Myles

Back