Mixing Saltwater

mike550

Starting to put together my RODI / saltwater mixing station. It seems like people like to mix the solution for 24 hours to make sure all Salt is dissolved etc. I'm going to use a pump to keep the saltwater circulating.

My question is whether it's better to have the water from the pump break through the surface so it's kind of like a fountain or percolator so there's a lot of surface agitation or should I let the water discharge below the surface and keep the surface more calm?

Thanks in advance!

Really doesn't matter..

Salt creep/splashing can be an issue with heavy surface agitation..

Thanks very helpful. So I can focus on mixing without creating much aeration. Was just trying to figure out if aeration was a good thing but then didn’t think about salt creep.

Thanks very helpful. So I can focus on mixing without creating much aeration. Was just trying to figure out if aeration was a good thing but then didn't think about salt creep.

it's never a bad thing, but my usual thoughts on mixing new water for water changes is that you're replacing a relatively small amount of the tank water. so if o2 sats, temp, are a little different, not a huge deal. always good to be thinking about these sorts of things though.

I follow manufacturers recommended instructions on mixing.

As an example, RED SEA recommends only 4 hours mixing, followed by bringing temp upwards to DT level, then deploy.

I see no reason not to trust the salt makers, it in their best interest to provide the best mixing instructions.

I follow manufacturers recommended instructions on mixing.

As an example, RED SEA recommends only 4 hours mixing, followed by bringing temp upwards to DT level, then deploy.

I see no reason not to trust the salt makers, it in their best interest to provide the best mixing instructions.
Red Sea Coral Pro also says not to aerate.
Cheers! Mark

I do what he said, only thing ill add is i add my salt slowly a bit at a time so no precipitation occurs.

This. Takes some patience though, which I am not known for. But I have had much better results slowly "sifting" salt in over several minutes rather than dump it in.

After that, I try to just have a pump running for a day, surface agitation is not needed. I have also used mixed saltwater minutes afterwards in emergencies with no ill effect, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

This. Takes some patience though, which I am not known for. But I have had much better results slowly "sifting" salt in over several minutes rather than dump it in.

After that, I try to just have a pump running for a day, surface agitation is not needed. I have also used mixed saltwater minutes afterwards in emergencies with no ill effect, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

All of this.

Back