Mixing Station Pumps

hann1bal

I recently decided to build a mixing station for salt / RODI in my garage/washer room.

Anyway, I have the RODI part all figured out but I am unsure whether I should go simple (like my friend) and just put a couple submersible pumps in Brute cans with hoses coming out the tops or buy an external pump and plumb PVC to allow circulation, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated but my main question is:

Does anyone know a good external pump that ISNT $300. All the pics I see - seem to be using Iwaki or Pan World and I just cant afford or see the purpose in spending that much on a pump to run once a week or so.

P.S. My tank (75 Gallons) is about 50 feet away from this location and I would like to run hose to it if possible.

I am using a JebaoDCT6000 pvc plumbed. Works amazing. I wish I would have gone up one pump size but oh well. I run a dct15k on my display and that thing MOVES water.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm still in the build stage, but I bought a duplicate of the DC pump I'm using for my DT return to use for the mixing station. Even though it cost more than buying a cheap one, I figured I would have a backup readily available if my primary went out and it wouldn't just sit on the shelf.

I got an IWAKI MD-20RT (JAPANESE MOTOR) 492 GPH for my mixing station.
I haven't set it up yet so I can't say how it works, but it will be recirculating water from the bottom of a 35 gallon container that I'm building and putting it back in the top.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

A decent pump should be for a mixing station, as long the salt get mixed properly. Hard plumping is clean, but I think it's not necessary.

I use a panworld 40 px. It's around $125 new and is rated for around 480 gph with max head height of 10 feet. It works great. I have 3 50 gallon containers and it moves water between these and to my sump about 10 feet away with ease.

Yeah the more I think about it the more i think i should just buy the Jebao or a used panword or Iwaki. I really cant afford more than $100 but I bet a decent one will save me in the end - not only from not having to buy two cheaper pumps but the convenice of pumping water to my tank if I want.

yagesz, does the Jebao have a controller that allows you to speed it up /down?

I got a used Iwaki for $100. Great pump. I like external because I have the space and its easier to take it offline and clean. It also has a T which I use to pump SW from garage to DT.

I used a Mag submersed for years with no problem though.

I use an Iwaki and it works great. What type of pump you get really depends on how you plan to move the saltwater once it's mixed. If you plan to move it a fair distance with elevation then you'll need a strong pump but if it's a short distance or if it is just to mix the barrel then a Mag pump would most likely be perfect. I did use a Mag to remove OSW and add NSW for a distance of about 40 feet and had no issues but it was on same floor and had very little head pressure.

Mag pump seems like a no brainer. Internally held or externally plumbed. Pretty bulletproof and you can always find one used for under $100.

I'm using two of these for my mixing station and top off system I got on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160-4200-GP...hash=item41a3ab0e88:m:mO2VAxVHCNA6vdKiaGfn31g

I was concerned about the quality but they have served me perfectly for over a year now. I have the 2100gph units. I do believe the gph falls off quickly with head pressure so I recommend going up a size or 2 from the gph you want. I have one externally hard plumbed into my saltwater mixing station which also does double duty for my automatic water changer. And I have one dropped into my freshwater top off tank to feed the aquarium. I have had the top off tank run dry on several occasions without any harm to the pump. I am very happy with them.

skeeter

Internal pumps will usually get some residue on them after a little while due to the heat they generate. I don't know if an external would or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160-4200-GP...hash=item41a3ab0e88:m:mO2VAxVHCNA6vdKiaGfn31g

I was concerned about the quality but they have served me perfectly for over a year now. I have the 2100gph units. I do believe the gph falls off quickly with head pressure so I recommend going up a size or 2 from the gph you want. I have one externally hard plumbed into my saltwater mixing station which also does double duty for my automatic water changer. And I have one dropped into my freshwater top off tank to feed the aquarium. I have had the top off tank run dry on several occasions without any harm to the pump. I am very happy with them.

skeeter

Any chance you have a pic of this pump externally plumbed in? Nothing I can find online says any about online use, and wanted to be sure before I bought it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i built my WMS eons ago, i use pan world 30px, still work great. depend how far you have to pump. but the 30px pump faster than my hose can drain from my display tank. so it's more than enough to do the job for me.

I used a spare Mag5 that was laying around as my water change pump and a maxi jet power head with the propeller kit as a mixing pump. Both mounted internally in a Brute trashcan.

skeeter

Any chance you have pics of the hard inline plumbing? I'm interested in this pump, but just can't find any pics online that show the intake port.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back