Modify stand?

lewisdw

I'm slowly starting back into reef keeping after being away for a little over 10 years due to life and work.

I found a new to me 125 gallon dual corner overflow drilled (in the bottom) tank with stand and some other bits. The stand appears to be custom made. It came with a 40 gallon acrylic sump, which barely fits underneath from the open back of the stand.

My issue/worry is that once I have the stand and tank close to the wall it will be on, with water and weighing over 1000 lbs, if something happens that I need to get the sump out for any reason, I'll have to drain the tank to be able to move the stand out to get the sump out.

I'dl like to modify the stand so I can take the sump in/out from the right side (as you're facing the front of the stand). I was thinking of notching the 2 2x4 legs on the right side enough that the sump will slide through (with the side plywood covering cut for an access door.

Do you think the stand will be strong enough with the front and back leg intact on the right side, and the right side 2x4s notched like that? I try to show in the one picture the inside of the right side.

8rWedccMK5nDVn0MuZvk9Ac9TN0_TiMdXLhKaimlermBxq-D0zpaNkrHX03ipcF4OWlgbEULgiR7ZMU_He3Li4mZddTh3rr7FHUU4KBqNX9SNOk-vKGTWSrRH_9cX3nIaoby3tCJ-7c=w2400

Qc3TNG_SQGEkbfVsdBn6eNrXGGULd5AoJ__r2GMnZ8tc1mijw6_hcebX2W2q5862yvSW4fIEI0NbXQhxpJPQPJjwC_C8UVr7pI94t112JzdxWIX0jNZAR12dMtT7eH6PPY1F9JR7AWM=w2400

that is a main support. I would not notch it.

I would set the tank up. it appears to be very unlikely that you're going to have to remove a whole sump

Why would you need to remove the sump? I have never had to remove mine. It's acrylic and takes up most of the space. Over the years I have drilled it for out of sump return, patched it up for in sump returns, replaced baffles, reworked a refugium all without removing it or draining the main tank. Maybe don't look for an issue that doesn't exist? Now if the sump was poorly made then that's a different story.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back