Aqueon Stand-sump space modification

bbrown152

Looking for input on my rebracing of a 125 gallon Aqueon tank stand. Inner left cabinet wall trimmed out to accommodate my 40 gallon sump. Plan is to use 2x4s to make a top cross beam with 2 legs sitting beside the cutout to make up for any loss of stability. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0569.jpeg
    IMG_0569.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0572.png
    IMG_0572.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Welcome to RC!

Given that section is about 4 feet, If it’s possible, I’d put 2x4 (or 4x4) in each corner with a cross beam across the front and back and perhaps a center brace. Please take my advice with a grain of salt as I’ve never built a stand.

@kharmaguru @griss @BeanAnimal any thoughts?

Welcome to RC!

Given that section is about 4 feet, If it’s possible, I’d put 2x4 (or 4x4) in each corner with a cross beam across the front and back and perhaps a center brace. Please take my advice with a grain of salt as I’ve never built a stand.

@kharmaguru @griss @BeanAnimal any thoughts?
I agree with this but, Sean and Bean are probably better at this than me.

I agree with this but, Sean and Bean are probably better at this than me.

Thanks, that definitely sounds like it would more than make up the difference. I’m thinking maybe a little more than necessary given the weight is supported primarily on the 4 corners, so I’m not so sure it would be necessary. With it being particle board, I’m planning to do and diy or have a custom done within the next 3 years as it will be moved to a new house, so I’m looking at it only needing a useful life of 3 years max.

Looking for input on my rebracing of a 125 gallon Aqueon tank stand. Inner left cabinet wall trimmed out to accommodate my 40 gallon sump. Plan is to use 2x4s to make a top cross beam with 2 legs sitting beside the cutout to make up for any loss of stability. Any recommendations?
My main issue with whats been done here is the center compartment of the stand was the core strength of the unit and provided a lot of lateral rigidity which is mostly been removed now ( imagine your drunken friend stumbles into the side of the tank). While the load bearing can certainly be recovered with the aformentioned 2x4's, I think you still need to reaquire the lateral strength by incorporating some plywood into your 2x4 plan.

Back