Modular Marine 1600gph overflow install question

Thought about this a little more. I guess there may be a scenario where you shut off your return, close all the drain pipe valves and remove the skimmer box for maintenance purposes. With the new design then, the outer box would not overflow due to a higher water level coming from the tank when you remove the skimmer box. This would also presume that your sump couldn't handle this excess amount of water if you kept the drain valves open.

I think???:)

Anyway I also heard back from Modular Marine. They said I was correct in leaving a small gap at the top of the skimmer box to remove the lid (i.e., lowering the outisde box slightly to account for this.

Also questioned how to get into the outer box to mark the holes with a sharpie. They responded that they make mini-sharpies that would fit. Didn't know this. My bad, but appreciated their quick response.

Maybe the old design would overflow if you closed the drain lines because there would be slow seepage from the display tank skimmer box the the outer box, since the connection is not sealed?

Does anyone even put valves on an emergency? I can see no reason for it. My MM is something of a 'hybrid'. Doesn't have the removable skim box, but the external box is at the same height. The connection is sealed though so no seepage like with the removable box (which is why I opted against it).

Maybe the old design would overflow if you closed the drain lines because there would be slow seepage from the display tank skimmer box the the outer box, since the connection is not sealed?
This is correct with removable weir designs. Our older design with a lower plumbing box does not have this issue because they are sealed and water can not pass through anywhere but the skim box teeth.

This is correct with removable weir designs. Our older design with a lower plumbing box does not have this issue because they are sealed and water can not pass through anywhere but the skim box teeth.

Hi Modular Marine -- I am getting a new display tank from Custom Aquariums and they said that many overflow boxes (including MM) do not work with their framing because the box with hit the frame. The result is that they have to mount the overflows lower on the glass, which lowers the water line in the tank.

From a design perspective, is there any reason to think that this might be the older design vs. the new one where both boxes are the same height?

I want to go with MM for an overflow, and I'm almost choosing my tank manufacturer around it!! :D

Hi Modular Marine -- I am getting a new display tank from Custom Aquariums and they said that many overflow boxes (including MM) do not work with their framing because the box with hit the frame. The result is that they have to mount the overflows lower on the glass, which lowers the water line in the tank.

From a design perspective, is there any reason to think that this might be the older design vs. the new one where both boxes are the same height?

I want to go with MM for an overflow, and I'm almost choosing my tank manufacturer around it!! :D

Hi, we can build an overflow to work with a custom aquariums tank/trim. If I am not mistaken they use 1/4" material for the trim so we will have to make the notched out area on the external box deeper (requires thicker material so there is an extra cost) or you can use the provided drilling template that comes with our standard models which also doubles as a spacer for instances like this. If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks

Back