Monti Cap Issues

DaveJ

I am interested in some serious discussion on some cap problems I have been having the last few months. I have a large red cap and a few others that have been experiencing some issues. The red cap is the best example however. I had it from a 4" frag and has since grown into a 10" mulitple layered colony. It was always a deep red/burnt orange color. Over the last several months it has slowly changed into a pastel pink color.

I have changed lights, verified no predators, verified Mg levels and flow has not changed. But it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Has anyone experienced something similar in nature and pinpointed a cause??

A local club member and I are discussing the possibilities of twopartsolutions dosing... since we both use the product and he has off/on again issues similar in nature. I am not convinced that is the problem since I know several others who use it and have had no problems at all with their caps.

So... any feedback or ideas on what the cause could be would be appreciated.

Tank parms from test kits are

Ca - 420ppm
Alk - 8.5 - 9.5 dKh
Mg - 1350 ppm
Nitrates - <4 ppm
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Temp runs 78-79 during the day
Salinity 1.025 - 1.026

Lighting is 3 250W MH (2) 14K Hamilton (1) 20K XM and 220W VHO Actinics.

I have other montis in the tank, including sunsets, superman, rainbows, flower petals etc that seem just fine.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11622924#post11622924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rmw4547
what about P04?

Last time I tested it, it was barely detectable, I think the reading was .02 but don't quote me on that. I don't have a current reading. I need to get a current measurement though and should be getting results from aquariumwatertesting in today or tomorrow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623019#post11623019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PSam
Potassium deficiency?

Haven't tested so its possible.... The results will show that. Will low Potassium cause that?? If you have any references on potassium I can read up on that would help.

Here are the results form Aquariumwatertesting I got today..

Some interesting readings...

In particular the low Potassium and high Molybdenum. The latter is odd since I don't add anything other than kalk and 2-part.

Ammonia (NH3-4)....Good ... 0.001
Nitrite (NO2)....Good ... 0.004
Nitrate (NO3).....Good ....0.6
Phosphate (PO4) ...Good .... 0.09
Silica (SiO2-3) ...... High.....0.9
Potassium (K) ....Low.... 302
Calcium (Ca)....Good ...... 432
Boron (B) ......Low....2.7
Molybdenum (Mo)..... High.....0.2
Strontium (Sr) ......Good ........8.3
Magnesium (Mg) ...Good ..... 1283
Iodine (I¯)...Good ..... 0.05