Monties going pale

I ran my RB at 60% blue, 50% white, and run Kessils and my big montis are 6-8 inches below the water's surface. Maybe it's not light, but yours are on the low end IMO. Why did u switch salt? IO works just fine; I'm inherently skeptical of 'designer' salts :)

I wanted to try vodka dosing again. Last I tried it, I got alk burn from the IO salt. Aquaforest has a more natural alk that I thought would work better. I wouldn't call it a designer salt, it's barely any more expensive than IO.

That does get me thinking though. Maybe I'll buy another bucket of IO and run that for a few weeks and see if anything improves.

What your describing sounds exactly like MEN. They can be very tiny and not visible with the naked eye. The damage starts slow and it may be on just one montipora but as the population grows they will eventually spread to others. You need to check on the underside near the edges of new tissue. I used my cellphone with max zoom to spot and observe my infection. Eventually they will grow larger and more populous. These things are a real ***** to get rid of. I had success with Potassium Permanganate. This is some pretty deadly stuff and you don't want it anywhere near your tank. I used a 1.5 hour dip then rinse three times. I lost about 80% of my monti's but managed to save a few. Been about two months since I've seen one of those little devils. The PP kills the nudi's and their eggs.

Spend 50$ and do the triton test.throw out the reef breaders. And feed frozen.
I had photon 16. Couldn't grow anything but mushrooms. I had a sunset monti that lost all of its color, turned greyTried all sorts of programs. Nothing would work. Actually that was the only sps that could survive the reef breeders. I lost a lot of frags using those thing.
First i added t5s the growth and color returned like nothing i got form the reef breeders.
I have since added kessil a360 and am growing sps.
Tried everything, and in the end it was the lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What your describing sounds exactly like MEN. They can be very tiny and not visible with the naked eye. The damage starts slow and it may be on just one montipora but as the population grows they will eventually spread to others. You need to check on the underside near the edges of new tissue. I used my cellphone with max zoom to spot and observe my infection. Eventually they will grow larger and more populous. These things are a real ***** to get rid of. I had success with Potassium Permanganate. This is some pretty deadly stuff and you don't want it anywhere near your tank. I used a 1.5 hour dip then rinse three times. I lost about 80% of my monti's but managed to save a few. Been about two months since I've seen one of those little devils. The PP kills the nudi's and their eggs.
It's not really in a spot where I can see the underside of it. I just pulled about a 1 square inch piece off the worst area, and the underside is clean as a whistle.
Spend 50$ and do the triton test.throw out the reef breaders. And feed frozen.
I had photon 16. Couldn't grow anything but mushrooms. I had a sunset monti that lost all of its color, turned greyTried all sorts of programs. Nothing would work. Actually that was the only sps that could survive the reef breeders. I lost a lot of frags using those thing.
First i added t5s the growth and color returned like nothing i got form the reef breeders.
I have since added kessil a360 and am growing sps.
Tried everything, and in the end it was the lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Reefbreeders were growing this coral just fine a month ago. It was probably expanding by a half an inch a month. Nothing on the lighting has changed, and I have plenty of other SPS colonies doing well. That being said, I have been considering going back to t5 since I recall having much deeper colors on my old t5 tank.

If your lights are a couple years old look to see if the lenses are burned on the blue LEDs. They'll be obviously brown or even black compared to the other leds. Try spot feeding your faded corals 3 X week for a month or so to see if that helps. (PO4 levels on reefs avg .13, only a tiny fraction of reefs are below .05. Additionally research has show if a corals internal PO4 level drops below .07 they become very sensitive to changes and quick to bleach.)

I personally wouldn't blame the lights I have radions g3 pro & some of mine are pale as well I have been reading certain things like low potassium can make them pale and low flow...again not an expert but have been doing plenty of reading as I would like to see my monti's healthy & full of color...side note my acro's are fine all other sps & lps are fine just the monti's...albeit I suspect the bayer treatment for the MEN's I'm dealing with

No problem. Probably worth noting, I had a similar issue a few months back. All my monties turned gray, and I lost a few acropora colonies. Going from monthly to weekly water changes fixed it that time. Since things seemed to be doing so well, I wanted to try every other week. Unfortunately stepping back up to weekly water changes doesn't seem to be doing the trick this time.

Just wanted to revisit this thread since things have greatly improved. I ended up investing in an 6 bulb ATI Sunpower from their scratch and dent sale. Around the same time, I switched back to IO salt. One of the changes resulted in a pretty dramatic rebound of the suffering montis, but I can't definitively say which. I noticed better coloration within a week, and new growth after about 2-3 weeks.

I'm curious if the lenses on the Reefbreeders are burnt. I've run into this problem on several manufacturers of LEDs (including radions)

Back