Montipora Capricornus Growth Rate

pcragg

I just got my first purple montipora capricornus frag.

I was wondering how fast these things grow. Anybody with any experience?

Thanks,
Phil

That is impossible to say, each tanks setup with lighting, waterflow, and water chemistry are different. If you have overall good essential keys for there care, than they can grow within inches in a years time.

Generally, the first 30 days is slow till it begins to encrust over where you have mounter it... Then it takes off.

Yes, I have lots of acropora, and acans growing well. I use two part and keep the calcium around 450.

monti cap growth

monti cap growth

Here's a couple pics of mine.

New
52924Monti_Cap__Leng_Sy.jpg

3 months
529243_months.jpg

6 months
52924monti_cap_2.jpg

The last pic is from July '05. It is way big now. It has actually gotten a little too big. I'll try to post a new pic later. They can really get big.

Mine had a slow start for the first several months, but now I am noticing an average of 1/4" to 1/2" per month. I can usually see a noticeable change of 1/16" every few days or so. I am also only running VHO's, so I'm sure that a bit of a slower rate than normal.

Great pics! That's pretty amazing growth for 6 months. I like the way it curls too.

I was thinking of moving it up from the bottom, but with that kind of growth, I think I'll keep it on the sand bed.

Thanks guys!

Phil

PS---They grow faster if you attach it like "tedmc2" did (veritcal). I have some too and the ones attached at angal does grow faster then the ones that are flat.

There are mixed results, but on average, they grow very fast. Mine went from a dime sized fragment to 14" across in a little over a year (under VHOs).

I agree, they take a few weeks to get themselves used to things.. and then they just grow super fast! Much faster than regular acropora types.

Tanker: thanks for the tip on mounting them vertical!

-Nathan

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6977006#post6977006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tanker
PS---They grow faster if you attach it like "tedmc2" did (veritcal). I have some too and the ones attached at angal does grow faster then the ones that are flat.

As strange as it sounds but I am finding the same thing happening with mine.

I have two pieces and under VHO they were growing "out" lots. The one went from 3" x 5" to 8" x 12" in about 9 months. Now that I have them under HQI they aree now growing "up".

Very fast growers in my oppinion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6977213#post6977213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nathan

Tanker: thanks for the tip on mounting them vertical!

-Nathan

That's what this forum is for. People helping people. Sometimes the smallest information is known but not transfered to others. :)

I got it from another RC member a couple of years ago. I have no idea who it was though. It does not do well under MH but grows like you see above under VHO. MH= washed out pale pink/blue
VHO= deep grape/purple and fast growing.

The center spire is about 2"-3" tall but you can't tell in the pic. It grew up quite a bit before growing out in all directions.

Back