Moonlight.

FinsToTheLeft

I see that a lot of lighting includes moonlights and timers, I guess to simulate day and night time.

Are there any interesting fish or corals that "glow" in the moonlight?

Or anything that behaves differently?

Just thinking for when I go to upgrade my lighting.

I have a red lobo, a green tipped hammer coral, green star polyps, and some nearly white zoas that all look great under the moonlights. I think you would be surprised how many items really pop out when under these lights.

Mushrooms glow, My green/blue shrooms glow a really bright neon green.

Anemone also glows a pinkish neon color. And zoos also glow!

-Zuk

Nice... I really like zoos so that will be cool to see. My tank is not running yet so I still have time to research.

You don't really need a timer for the moonlight. They are LED's so they use very little power. You can just leave them on all the time. If you want to simulate the moon phase, then that is a different story.

I use blue lights, but have thought about trying out white to see the difference. I wonder what others that are posting are using.

With the very dim moonlights, you can watch creatures come out at night that you never knew were in there. The corals glow as if they were under very weak actinics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12277082#post12277082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mavrk
I use blue lights, but have thought about trying out white to see the difference. I wonder what others that are posting are using.

I just purchased a pair of moonlights, i was wondering about the same thing; there are mixed opinions on both. those that like blue seems to not like white and vice versa.

i bought one of each. i dunno if that's a good idea. but we shall see. any ideas?

also on moonlights in general, the spawning cycle is definitely true. i also read that they reduce the stress by reducing the 'crash effect' of complete darkness when the lights go off

There's absolutely no reason to believe that adding moonlights, timed or untimed, to a tank will have any effect on spawning cycles. The effect of moonlight on spawning in the wild is very poorly understood. It's not clear how much the actual light plays a role as opposed to other lunar cycles. If anything, it's a final, possibly unnecessary, cue that only means anything when it's proceeded by many other cues which are absent in our tanks. Beyond that, most moonlights in the hobby are orders of magnitude brighter than a full moon, so the corals might not even perceive any changes in intensity.

There's really no reason to expect any benefit whatsoever from moonlights other than your own personal enjoyment.

I have the white ones now and that came with my fixture and they are cool. I've had the blue ones in the past and I like the blue ones better. Nothing really "glows" with my white ones but the blue ones look awesome. I'm thinking about adding a blue light or two to it.

I have Blue Moonlights, but my corals finsih their glowing during the actinics. I have not seen much glow under the LEDs. My Lobo, favia, my bubble, my elegance, my pipeorgan, my zoos, my hammer, they all glow under the actinics, but do not glow at all under the LEDs.

All of my corals glow under the blue LED's. My favorite is my maze brain, all of the raised ridges flouresce under the blue LED's. I'm running the Current USA Powerbrite LED's as moonlights. They're made in different combinations: 4 led's per strip- all blue, all white, and 2 blue+2 white.

I have moonlights now but am thinking about upgrading to a HQ pendant. Has anybody ever heard of any kind of moonlight that clips to the side of the tank? If not, is there any way to add them. It looks like they all screw into a canopy.

Back