more info on Japanese reef tanks

I hate you, I cant believe you posted that, Im so mad at myself for buying this rectangular tank with this huge center brace that creates this horrible shadow in the middle of the tank, no really that has got to be some of the coolest tanks I have ever seen, thanks for sharing it! And that orange fungia was great. We should see if their willing to trade some frags with us:)

It's cool to see how another culture sets up their reefs...

This link came from the cpfarm site, and lists all the entries in a recent photo contest

Conversion from cubic centimeters to gallons:
LxWxH in centimetes / 3796= gallons

My personal obs:
-There are Japanese reefers who don't use a toothbrush to scrub everything twice a day.
-Many tanks have DSB, but choose to cover (from the outside) all but the top inch or so. It looks as if the tank sits lower in the cabinet. (This is seen on the first links in this thread)
-It is interesting that most reefs on this link are not even a year old, some as young as a few months.
-Also interesting that the brightest lighting used is 150w.
-Many of the pics have the saturation cranked up, I even spotted some digital "air brushing".

[Edited by Playfair on 02-06-2001 at 09:54 AM]

Zochs,

Those are tunicates.:)

Believe, you haven't seen anything yet. The tanks I saw for sale in Denmark and Holland were beautiful. It makes me wonder how a country as developed and wealthy as ours still makes tanks that have nasty plastic fake wood trim, which are long and skinny.;) And don't even get me started on our lighting equipment. Just compare a Hamilton hood to a Geissman hood. Yikes.:D

[Edited by Mark on 02-06-2001 at 10:00 AM]

Apparently it works for them... I'd be more worried about pollution. I did notice it's in an area where caulerpa is growing. I imagine the water there might be a little cleaner. I guess it would allow you to setup up a tank in virtually no time.

Just imagine how much money you save on salt! It would be interesting to have one tank with synthetic salt and 1 with natural seawater and see how they turn out.

Food for thought,

Rob

I'd love to go frameless. Are those glass tanks? If so, how is it done? Won't the panels come loose under the pressure from the water?

Kelpie they make robots that get you mail, I don't think a little thing like glass would be a problem for them ;) . My 20-long looks fairly zenful. I will see if I can track down a digital camera.

It makes me wonder how a country as developed and wealthy as ours still makes tanks that have nasty plastic fake wood trim, which are long and skinny.;) And don't even get me started on our lighting equipment. Just compare a Hamilton hood to a Geissman hood.

The reason is because you guys are used to buying everything at rediculously low prices so commodities are made to supply that demand, not to fulfill an aesthetic consideration. Not a crticism, just an observation.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8334803#post8334803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eastcoastreefer

The reason is because you guys are used to buying everything at rediculously low prices so commodities are made to supply that demand, not to fulfill an aesthetic consideration. Not a crticism, just an observation.

Thats a pretty insightful statement. True too.

Back