most efficient garage heat

ReefEnabler

Premium Member
Hello,

I am looking at options for temperature regulating my garage where my fishroom is. Its a bit cold for spending time working in the garage, and the cold temperatures have caused me to waste more electricity heating my water during the night.

Garage is about 400 sqft.

The need for heat in the winter seems to be stronger than the need for cool in the summer.

One option is a ductless minisplit heatpump, but I think it might be a bit under powered during the winter time, and since its only heating the air, all the work would be lost any time the garage is opened.

The other thing I am considering is would be a Gas Powered radiant heater placed on the cieling pointing down at the garage slab. I have heard this is ma good idea for garages, since if the garage door is open, the heat will be retained in the garage slab and will not be lost so quickly. This option is also much cheaper to install.

Are there any experienced HVAC or electician types who can give me a definitive answer as to which would be the more energy efficient way to go??? Will I get more heat per unit of cost out of gas radiant heat???????

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited:
Can't you just insulate the containers instead of heating the whole garage? Also, you say "waste more electricity heating my water" but want to invest in a heating system for the garage? Best to do a cost analysis to see how long it would take the new garage heating system to pay for itself.

I've already made up my mind that I want to heat the garage regardless, for my own comfort when working inside the garage. I am just mentioning that energywise it won't be a total loss.... since I will spend less energy heating the water, and also it will solve a problem of a very cold office above the garage.

I don't want to insulate my tanks, being able to see and access them all the time is important. and even if I insulated the sides, I'd have to cover the tops for it to be effective, and I want the water well oxygenated.

I originally planned to put doors on my fishroom but scrapped that idea since it would be too restrictive.

I just want to know if there would be a significant cost difference running radiant heat with natural gas, versus a heat pump using all electricity.

Depends how much gas is in your area and how much your electricity is in your area. If it were me I'd get the heat pump mini split because you're looking for comfort which means in the summer when your garage is 100' f you"ll also have cooling. It would be better comfort control. You can also do the radiant heater like a reznor unit and then put a window shaker in the wall too so that you have both cooling and heating and still have the heating power you are looking for. But imo radiant heaters are an eye sore where the mini split isn't.

I would suggest you have an HVAC guy come out there are a lot of issues and local codes could be in play here.

For example my garage is vented in two places to the outside and cannot be heated per local codes. Outside air just blows in through those vents. The good news is no chance of carbon monoxide buildup or gas can igniting from water heater pilot light.

You question is complex and would require much more information to answer properly. Only a local contractor would be able to give you correct answers.

thanks for the tips.

I already had one contractor come. they were heavily trying to sell me the mini-split system over a radiant heater.... which is no surprise to me since the minisplit costs much more, and therefore they will make more money installing it.

I've learned not to trust contractors when they have a financial stake in what you decide.

the limited research I have done says that the gas heater will be much cheaper to operate.

Here are the costs of energy:

Electric cost:
I get charged about 11 cents per kWh

Gas Cost:
1.30222 per therm

You could get a small coal furnace or wood burning stove that would heat your garage to the point you could wear your birthday suit comfortably. These are relatively inexpensive for the hardware and to operate. My buddy heats his entire 3 story house off a coal furnace for $500/year. If you have access to fire wood, that is another decent option. That is, if you don't mind doing a small amount of work.

My buddy has a corn stove, kinda pricey to buy but cheap to operate. Has a thermostat and automatic corn feed. Its very nice.

What kind of heat do you have in ur house? Is it Hot water baseboard, Forced hot air with a boiler, or forced hot air with a gas furnace? If u have a boiler u could add a Modine heater to your garage. U just have to add another zone to ur boiler and get 2 heat lines to the garage from the boiler. If u have forced hot air from a furnace u could add a gas wall hung heater. Or if u wanna get crazy chop up the floor abit and add hot water radiant heat in the floor very toasty. Mini splits suck theyre expensive, fans are noisy, and cost a lot to run. To add a zone to the boiler and hang the Modine in the garage ur looking at an estimated $3000. PM me if u want some more info.

Gas Unit
http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/pag...markets/building_HVAC/level_4_content_014.htm

Hot Water
http://store.h-mac.com/hosi18unhe11.html

Radiant
http://www.viega.net/4733.htm

mini splits aren't noisy! Unless they're broken...
They are extremely effecient too. a 1.5 ton system around here doesn't come around any lower than 19 seer now. Plus its always gonna cost more to be able to heat and cool the zone rather than just heat it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14193091#post14193091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by m8j4c
mini splits aren't noisy! Unless they're broken...
They are extremely effecient too. a 1.5 ton system around here doesn't come around any lower than 19 seer now. Plus its always gonna cost more to be able to heat and cool the zone rather than just heat it.

not worth the money in my opinion. All that Ive dealt with have had fan motor issues, cant keep up to the heating/cooling demand, and I just dont like em sorry just my opinion.

Back