Most interesting lps

Looks like I'm gonna add duncans and dendros to my list. Are they aggressive?

IME, Duncans are not aggressive. While dendros are not aggressive towards other corals (as in stinging IME), they do have a tendency to eat anything and everything that they can catch. I know there is/was a video on youtube of a dendro eating a clown goby which it caught. However, I have several smaller fish including a high-fin goby and a coris wrasse and the dendros leave them alone.

IME, Duncans are not aggressive. While dendros are not aggressive towards other corals (as in stinging IME), they do have a tendency to eat anything and everything that they can catch. I know there is/was a video on youtube of a dendro eating a clown goby which it caught. However, I have several smaller fish including a high-fin goby and a coris wrasse and the dendros leave them alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJFzLCgrJVk

This goes for just about any LPS coral. How often does it accually happen, occasionally. However its not something I would stress out about. Heres my scolly eating a goby. Just a risk you gotta take.
db02917f.jpg

As slow as scolys are at eating, I can't imagine them being able to catch and hold a healthy fish. It takes my scoly hours just to fully close back up after a squirt of mysis. Did that goby get caught by the scoly at night when it was fully open?

As slow as scolys are at eating, I can't imagine them being able to catch and hold a healthy fish. It takes my scoly hours just to fully close back up after a squirt of mysis. Did that goby get caught by the scoly at night when it was fully open?

I assume the mandarin chose to fall asleep on it...... very bad choice...

Correct
I assume the mandarin chose to fall asleep on it...... very bad choice...

And right again!

thats amazing, well i know you were sorry to see the fish die.

how long did it take to digest?

did it affect the scoly much?

Feeding my wellso was one of the best things to watch. This of course before my blue tang started nipping at it and we took it back to the LFS.

Umm..why is his first instinct to grab the camera and not free the fish? Its clearly alive

Edit: realized I didnt contribute anything to this thread. I vote Duncans, they have large polyps, are open all the time, and are happy to eat mysis whenever you want to feed them. Dendros are also a good choice. I have a torch coral I bought as a 1" frag a few months ago, and it is 3" now. It is always out and ready to eat as well! Just be careful on placement as they have sweeper tentacles they release that extend 2-3 times its body length.

Not a LPS, but interesting to feed is a Tube anemone. They come in flourescent orange, or purple, and sometimes green. These are less sensitive than normal anemones, and don't wander around. You bury the tube where you want it, and they extend out all day and night. Very interesting to watch feed, they will grab flake and frozen food from the water column and pull it into their mouth with their many arms. I've had mine for 5 years, and its been through two tank moves. Its purple, with a neon green mouth, and I've never had an issue with it.

Last edited:
Duncans are my favorites to feed but most are interesting. I agree a scoly is fun, but duncans can be had for $5/head.

I really doubt that fish was alive. Even if it was its a mandarin those fish stress very easily, not only that he would of stressed the scolly in doing so, so why risk it.

+1 on the duncans being good eaters.

I have a slipper that sucks the fish or krill chunks right in. Its pretty cool to watch.

my plate coral is fun to feed, it has a nice grab response like a anemone.
Duncans are quick feeders, my favite,chalice and trumpets put their feeders out quickly when food is around.

Back