Mounting Ricordea

chaungo

I got a ricordea from someone but it isn't mounted. I tried super glue-ended up floating away. Tore up my whole tank looking for it. Then, I tried the gel super glue. Ended up floating away again! ARRRRGH. Right now it is floating in a custard cup suspended at the top of my tank by a fish net. Someone help me please! What else can I do? If it floats away again, good luck buddy!

The way i usually mount fresh cuttings of ricordia is via by takeing a tupperware dish or something of that nature that is aquarium safe and putting a little rubble or smaller rocks in the bottom on the dish and placeing it in a lower flow area and set the cuttings in there and wait a couple days to a week and it should attach.Super Glue 9 times out of 10 usually never works it seems as if it almost burns the tissue a little and just damages the polyp thats just my observation. Hope that helps you with your problem!

Thats exactly what I do with xenia since they are hard to attach things to. Best way to go for a Ricordea and good luck.

Thanks. I'll try that. The person I got the ric from told me he used super glue and always worked for him. Your method seems easier.

never use super glue on softies it is horable and usually never works because of there slime. but the best way is to use Tool, most people know it as weding vail, or netting. wrap it around the rock you want the ric on and in about 3 to 5 days it will have attached.

rics

rics

i had a large one that i had the same problem with. i rubber banded it to a rock and in 2 weeks it was 2 rics.

Ok. Tried to put him in a tupperware dish, but he seemed to want to flip upside down even in low flow areas. Now, I strapped him down with a rubber band like a crazy mental patience! I hope it doesn't hurt him. I've never done this before, so wish me luck!

why woulnt you use vail like we told you to? the rubber band is just goin to cut it in half and they may or maynot foat away some morning that you arnt watching them.

Hi chaungo,

Did the rubber band work? I usually use a shot glass (Glass) filled with rubble to place small frags and propagated mushrooms in.

Hope you still have your Ric,

No, the rubber band ended up splitting it in half. So now I have two rics. I tried a piece of organza (similar to wedding veil mesh). It's been like 2 weeks and they still haven't attached. Good idea with the shot glass. That may work. How long should it take to attach? A month?

Is there sand or anything on the foot of the mushroom? usually when i use the wedding veil, they attach in less than a week.

They normally take 1 to two weeks, it depends on the amount of stress that it's under. I've had it take 2 + weeks. In which tank are you keeping it, and if it's not the 120g, could you specify how much light it gets?

Also once you've placed them in the glass "forget about them" for about 2 weeks. Don't pick them up or move them. Just let them heal thats what they want to do.

I've found that if your impatience, and move them around or check if they've attached before they've completed the healing process they tend to attach over a longer period (if at all) (you can damage the tissue and it will be lost for ever).

My last question is to you is: How long was the Ric in your tank for before you tried to attach it? It could be that it never completely adapted to your environment.

Pedri

Last edited:
No. There is no sand on their feet. It may be from the stress of rubber banding. I have them in the 120 gal with T-5 lighting at the bottom of the tank.

Chaungo do they get a lot of light? and how long do you keep your light on for? Try to keep them in a corner where the light is less.

Last edited:
I would probably say yes. They get a lot of light but they are 25" down on the sand bed. I keep the lights on for 12 hours a day. Do you think that be the problem?

Oh, I didn't see your whole thread. They are new to my tank so you're probably right about adapting to my tank.

The time wouldn't be a problem, try to get a small container it has to be at least one inch deep, and shouldn't float, fill it (to cover the bottom) with gravel, crushed coral or something similar and put it in a corner somewhere (see where the amount of light is the least). Leave them for about 2 weeks.

BTW, if they wanted to die, they would have faded away by now. They seem to love there live. Just stressed. Shout if you need anything.

Pedri

ps.

I have about 8 shot glasses standing on the bottom of my nano tank. It's always worked for me.

Back