Mounting Ricordea

I use glass candle holders, there are several kinds. Seem to work well and are .79 at Walmart.

yellowRic.jpg

orangeYellowRic.jpg

Faz

Thanks guys for all of the advice. They are now sitting in double shot glasses at the bottom of the tank. One is doing pretty good. The other one wants to shimmy its way to the bottom of the glass instead of the rock. I'll need to find another flatter piece of rock.

Ya'll are awesome for quick response and good advice. Thanks!

you will have better luck taking a needle and thread or very thin fishing line and "sew the shroom on a rock! just run the needle and tread trough him and then tie the string and coral to the desired rock. make sure its snug enough to be able to attach, but not so tight it splits it like the rubber band method. once it does attach and is healed you can snip the tread and pull it out.....good luck, i hope you give this a try I'm sure you will have better luck in achieving your desired goal!....

Hi clownfish4me,

I've found that the needle and tread Idea tears the mushroom / Ric, and is sometimes really difficult if you're working with small pieces.

Pedri

If you choose to use the cup and gravel method. You can use crazy glue gel to glue th attached gravel to a rock of your choice.

Hi clownfish4me,

I've found that the needle and tread Idea tears the mushroom / Ric, and is sometimes really difficult if you're working with small pieces.

Pedri
it may be that you are tying the mushroom to tight! i have only had one shroom that i can remember,( out of several dozen that ive done) not work out. it is always more difficult when your working with something so small! :p i hope this helps someone...... good luck

The stuff the I've used for attaching mushrooms is the 3lb nylon bag that onions come in. Food safe, plastic and you get onions with the frag attachment device.

What do you do with the onion? Soup!

Hi All,

I fragged my green mushrooms two weeks ago, (7-Feb). I fragged a small shroom (.5" in diameter). It's attached and almost healed. It took a couple of days to attach, and then about a week to regrow the half that was missing.

All my shrooms are kept in shot glasses with cruched coral at the bottom. I keep them under 2 x 10W 10000K lights and the tank is 8G.

This is what I've found, this is to give you a relitive idea of how my setup looks, and the time that it takes for the shrooms to heal and regrow.

Pedri.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11852651#post11852651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whalehead9
The stuff the I've used for attaching mushrooms is the 3lb nylon bag that onions come in. Food safe, plastic and you get onions with the frag attachment device.

What do you do with the onion? Soup!

Lol, good call! I love being able to re-use a freebie!! I have 1 onion left in the bag ,and actually need to do some fragging this week. Looks like soup is on the menu!

Other freebies that I've used:
-Square containers that cat litter comes in (soaked and rinsed for several days, of course). I used them for my RDSB, and a smaler one for my ATO vessel.
-Plastic protective sleeves that the liquor stores put on bottles of wine. I used one as a large screen for my overflow, but this could also work for holding a larger ric onto a piece of LR
-My collection of yogurt and sour cream containers that have been used as frag cups.

i usually glue mine to a frag plug or piece of rock, let the glue dry and harden to the ric for about 25 seconds, then just pop them in my tank. some smaller ones wen i attach i let dry for about 45 seconds. Idk but it works for me. Im always lookin to take the quickest easiest way out lol

Hooray! My ricordea has officially attached! I thought the other one was attached too and put it in a single shot glass just in case, but it got swept away in the lurkey depths of my tank. But one made it! Finally! It was the double shot glass method. Thanks PedriCronje!

Using the sewing method, you would just sew the needle through anywhere on the ric? how do you tie it down to get the bottom of the ric to attach?

I would try the plastic container method first james, it is a non-invasive way to attach mushrooms.

I use to use the plastic container method, but I'm getting very successful at the "leaving the ric on a rock and it attaching on it's own" method. It usually takes around 12hrs (24 hrs max) for my rics to become fully attached to rock.

What I'm doing is using a PVC coupling (1.5") and stand it on its end. Throw in some rubbles to fill it half way up. Then throw in a mushroom or two. In about two weeks, the shrooms will attach to the rubbles and you can then glue the rubbles to some bigger rock.

Back