Moving a tank

Nwest

So just as it normally goes, once the tank is doing good something has to come up to cause an issue. Well the issue now is we having a house built and will be moving in 4-5 months. Luckily the move isn't to far only 20 mins.

I have never had to move a whole tank set up before, anyone have any tricks/tips on how to go smoothly? I plan on reusing EVERYTHING I currently have unless I replace the sand. Tank has only been up and running for 1+ month now after the transfer from 80 gallon to 120 I am currently running.

So just as it normally goes, once the tank is doing good something has to come up to cause an issue. Well the issue now is we having a house built and will be moving in 4-5 months. Luckily the move isn't to far only 20 mins.

I have never had to move a whole tank set up before, anyone have any tricks/tips on how to go smoothly? I plan on reusing EVERYTHING I currently have unless I replace the sand. Tank has only been up and running for 1+ month now after the transfer from 80 gallon to 120 I am currently running.
I just moved my whole setup and I think the most helpful thing was getting everything alive into small temporary holding tanks. This made everything so much smoother because I could take my time to move and clean everything without worrying about my corals, rather than trying to finish everything in one day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

We moved my 125 from npr to valrico in one day. What I did:

Prep:
1) get enough 18g tired and 5g buckets to hold all sand rock coral and other livestock.
2) get 3 55g drums for the rest of the water.

Day of move:
3) fill each bucket/tote about half full, and place rock coral etc in them.
4) catch fish and place in buckets (it helps to have lids at least for those buckets)
5) scoop all sand into (empty) buckets
6) drain remaining water into 55g drums
7) tear down all equipment

When we arrived at the house:
7) bring all buckets inside (temp is more stable)
8) set up equipment in new location (just enough to add water to tank)
9) add rock, sand, water to tank as if it were new
10) add coral and fish to tank
11) set up remaining equipment, sump, skimmer, return pump, etc
12) add remaining water from barrels and any new water to make up for loss

Something I didn't do that I recommend: have lots of new saltwater on hand at the new house.

The priority stewing back up was getting livestock out of the buckets. Overall the move took about 8 hours and I knew I needed to get the living things some water movement.

Having a few small tanks to hold your best corals or your fish would be advantageous so you don't have to rush, and can let the inevitable sandstorm subside before placing them. I placed rocks first then poured sand around them so I could aquascape to a certain extent, but had to adjust the next day once things settled down

We moved my 125 from npr to valrico in one day. What I did:

Prep:
1) get enough 18g tired and 5g buckets to hold all sand rock coral and other livestock.
2) get 3 55g drums for the rest of the water.

Day of move:
3) fill each bucket/tote about half full, and place rock coral etc in them.
4) catch fish and place in buckets (it helps to have lids at least for those buckets)
5) scoop all sand into (empty) buckets
6) drain remaining water into 55g drums
7) tear down all equipment

When we arrived at the house:
7) bring all buckets inside (temp is more stable)
8) set up equipment in new location (just enough to add water to tank)
9) add rock, sand, water to tank as if it were new
10) add coral and fish to tank
11) set up remaining equipment, sump, skimmer, return pump, etc
12) add remaining water from barrels and any new water to make up for loss

Something I didn't do that I recommend: have lots of new saltwater on hand at the new house.

The priority stewing back up was getting livestock out of the buckets. Overall the move took about 8 hours and I knew I needed to get the living things some water movement.

Having a few small tanks to hold your best corals or your fish would be advantageous so you don't have to rush, and can let the inevitable sandstorm subside before placing them. I placed rocks first then poured sand around them so I could aquascape to a certain extent, but had to adjust the next day once things settled down

Agree....just about exactly what I did when I moved my 120. I rented a u haul pick up and got 4 55 gal trash cans...I used pumps to get the water in and out of the truck....worked like a charm. My ONLY problem was I didn't know 1 of my kids dropped my refractometer and it wasn't calibrated when I made all my new salt water and it was all .019 instead of .025

Back