Moving to LA

justincognito

Hello,
I'm moving to Los Angeles and would like to find work with coral. I currently run a non-profit researching ecologically friendly coral aquaculture methods and provide teaching assistance to students and curriculum development for the Science and Technology Magnet High School of Southeastern Connecticut and developing Mystic Aquarium Coral Bank collection.

I'm interested in starting a similar program in the LA area in conjunction with a junior high, high school or university, or a public aquarium. The program in Connecticut will continue and will be run on a day to day basis by teachers and volunteers.

The non-profit is Applied Sustainable Aquaculture (www.asaquaculture.org) and one of our major projects is the Coral Bank (www.coralbank.org) We currently hold an extensive collection of coral representing all but 3 families of hard coral. We will be bringing clones to LA to further expand the decentralized collection.

Any contacts or information would be greatly appreciatted.
Thanx
Justin Credabel

I used to be an intern aquarist AOP and know a few people in husbandry there. I worked in the tropical reef gallery and I must say...if you're interested in keeping corals and growing them, AOP is not the place to be. They consider aquarium keeping from the artistic standpoint by making their displays look relatively good to non enthusiasts. Contact Nate Jaros if interested. I believe you can search him up at the directory over there.

Where in LA are you going to be located? I am a HS science teacher and would love to see something like this, but how feasible is it at a publiccomprehensive HS?

Hi Nate,
The program I run now is at a public comprehensive HS. They pay my salary and the non-profit aquires donations for systems and coral, and the students and I sell some of the coral to pay for on going maintanence. I am certified in CT as a Vo/ag teacher for regular high school. I go teach Environmental Science, AP Environmental Science, biology, and will be teaching a course in the spring for Mitchell college on Coral Ecology at our St. Martin high school and college educational program.

Back