Nutrient Management by Old School Reefer

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161012144511.htm

coral exudates adjust gene expression in picoplankton community, macro biofilm community crosstalks with bacteria in coral holibiont to optimize growing conditions.

https://academic.oup.com/femsec/article/88/2/213/467628?login=false

Abstract​

Seaweed-associated bacteria play a crucial role in morphogenesis and growth of seaweeds (macroalgae) in direct and/or indirect ways. Bacterial communities belonging to the phyla Proteobacteria and Firmicutes are generally the most abundant on seaweed surfaces. Associated bacterial communities produce plant growth-promoting substances, quorum sensing signalling molecules, bioactive compounds and other effective molecules that are responsible for normal morphology, development and growth of seaweeds. Also, bioactive molecules of associated bacteria determine the presence of other bacterial strains on seaweeds and protect the host from harmful entities present in the pelagic realm. The ecological functions of cross-domain signalling between seaweeds and bacteria have been reported as liberation of carpospores in the red seaweeds and settlement of zoospores in the green seaweeds. In the present review, the role of extracellular polymeric substances in growth and settlement of seaweeds spores is also highlighted. To elucidate the functional roles of associated bacteria and the molecular mechanisms underlying reported ecological phenomena in seaweeds requires a combined ecological, microbiological and biochemical approach.

I am all about recycling nutrients. In my case, I am now growing Red Ogo for personal consumption, using RO water with synthetic salt and ChaetoGrow

When I grew Red Ogo, Gracilaria Parvispora, for culinary sales to restaurant, I had it analyzed by a regional agriculture lab:

N @ 2.59%
P @ 0.082%
K @ 13.54%
Ca @ 0.555%
Mg @ 1.163%
S @ 4.81%
Zn @ 139 ppm
Fe @ 107 ppm
Mn @ 20 ppm
Cu @ 7 ppm

Make up water came from Trinity Aquifier at 1000’. Water analysis showed zero Cu & Zn with lowest detection limit at .001 ppm.

This water analysis proved to me that algae is a sponge and will absorb whatever is in the water. Unfortunately, the sulfur concentration in Red Ogo ruined the taste of the fresh seaweed.

Back