Moving to Vero Beach

Ron Popeil

Love them clownfish.
Hello! I will be moving to the Vero Beach area next month and would like to get acquainted with the local stores and reefers in the area....I'm essentially moving sight unseen from Oregon, so any information is appreciated!

I will be tearing down my 60 and 45 cube systems and hopefully setting up a 150 to 300 gallon shortly after I get settled. Getting some of my prized livestock down there is still a work in progress....

Thank you everyone!

Hey Ron,

Welcome to sunny Florida, where the temperature is a polar 43 degrees! It was all the way down to 33 when I got up this morning....it hasn't been this frigid in years, gotta hate the grips of winter.

Anyway, I believe you will be quite close to Palm Beach in Vero and there is an active club in that area, PBMAS or Palm Beach Marine Aquarium Society. We are friends with that club and I am sure you would be very at home with them. There are several great coral shops in that area.

When will you be relocating?

43 degrees? pffft. thats the standard indoor temperature here in oregon.

i am hoping to be settled down there by the middle of february. what are some of the stores in the area?

ill see if i can make contact with PBMAS. thanks mitch!

Well, of course World Wide Corals if you make the pilgrimage to Orlando but I can't pull the names of the stores down that immediate area. The PBMAS folks can set you straight on what is local to them. Be aware that there will be a ReefAPalooza event here in Orlando in April. Here is a link to a ReefCentral thread about it. Many of the quality Florida shops will be representing there!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21861312#post21861312

And don't forget that anytime you are in our area, you are welcome to attend any of FRAG Reef Club meetings! If you register on the website you'll get the email reminders. PLUS we'll be involved in ReefAPalooza, so if you do have any questions about it, don't hesitate to contact us at any time. Florida Reef Aquarium Group gives you a BIG WELCOME to Florida!!!

awesome! thank you everyone!

i will be needing a rubbermaid stock tank when i get into town to put my livestock in....what sort of stores in the area will i be able to find one?

I don't know about the Vero Beach area, but here in Orlando they're available (although possibly special order only) at farm and feed stores.

You can get also get really nice aquaculture tubs from aquatic eco systems and pick them up in the Orlando area.

Yes, Aquatic Eco has been a local fixture for many years but generally I hear of people getting them from Tractor Supply which I am sure has a store someplace near Vero.

does anyone in florida keep their aquariums in their screen in porches, or is it just too hot and costly to run a chiller to do so?

I keep some stuff on the porch, seasonally. All my topoff/saltwater is kept there year round. It gets really, really cold sometimes and really overheats some days in the summer. I'll also do some rock cooking and quarantining on the porch.

You could definitely make it work with enough heating/chilling. It will be fine most of the year, but its those exceptionally hot or cold days that will wipe you out if you aren't on top of it.

Back