Mushroom woes, I could use some help, please :)

JWolfgang

I have 2 mushroom's that won't stay on their frag disc's. 1 of them is kinda on the small size (dime) and i've glued it, I've even put bridal's vail over it too see if it would attach, NOPE! I have no idea. The other I noticed it tonight that its comming loose from its frag disc.

What should I do? I've thought of trying live rock with bridal veil?

Is it true you can put mushrooms in a blender and they'll propagate? I've thought of trying this for both of them, might get some bi-color shrooms? don't know if its possible.

Any help would be appreciated, I could use some pointers on how to frag the dang things. Some say just cut a small piece off, others say I have to have a piece of the mouth in order for it to grow? Any help on this one???

Thanks
Jamie

Jamie,

What you need is a small basket or tray you can fill with sand. Maybe 2 inches deep or so would be fine. What you want to achieve is an area that the mushrooms can be protected from being blown around. Eventually if the mushrooms don't shrivel up. They will attach themselves to the plugs or rubble rock that you place in the sand box.

Thanks Mike,

I'm going to try something like that just as soon as I get my frag tank up and running. need the lighting and then ready to go.

Jamie

Propagating shrooms with a blender would be like hammering a nail in with a semi-truck. Its a bit more delicate of an operation than that.

I don't intend useing a "blender" I'm going to chop them up really good, and then add them to a small 5 gallon with alof of frag plugs on the bottom, who knows.

Jamie

I remember a thread not too long back about someone who did use a blender...if I remember right, she got mushroom soup....and not so much mushroom frags...

I think that theory involved a food processor and maybe a couple of "pulses" to make a hundred pieces not a blender to make a mushroom slurry.

I could see it working if you had a bunch of pieces and even 10% grew out.

Please buy a fish only food processor if you are going to try this!!!! It's bad enough that all of my mixing cups/spoons and gladware end up in the fish room.... Please don't make your wives/girlfriends kill you for gooing up the food processor too :D

LOL I have a fish only food processor in the fish room. I used it to blend up the squid, octopus and other tasty treats in the frozen food.

Good point though :lol:

Back