MW1981 40 breeder build

Mw1981

Finally got plumbing done last night and rock has been placed. Washing sand tonight, then filling after.
QWo01fpb.jpg
t93U1WWb.jpg
HaKgYg0b.jpg

It is a gl*******s overflow, and here are the bigger pics. Been a while since posting pics on here.
HaKgYg0h.jpg

t93U1WWh.jpg

QWo01fph.jpg

The stand will eventually be skinned to look like the entertainments stand with Curly Cherry, and don't laugh but the light is being held up by brooms for testing. Still to build a canopy also out of Curly Cherry.

Got it filled yesterday, woke up this morning to see drips cming from the threaded elbow on bulkhead. Hopefully tape solves this

drained and refilled.....teflon tape had not been thick enough on elbow. Anyone know where I can find plans for a canopy? I am going that route to mount lights as well as tank drilled 1/4" too low so water level is right at trim. Using canopy to cover that and mount lights

question....filter socks..if you look at my pic up top with the drain, the drain goes about 1"
below the water. I want to use a filter sock but the rim of the tank is prob about 4" above the bottom of the drain. How would I run a filter sock on this?? need some mechanical filtration as siphoning from a sump that low to ground sucks. Also need to figure out carbon, was planning on running it in a media bag in the filter sock. Will this work?

Last edited:
Eshopps makes a hang on filter sock holder, but it's pricey for what it is. I usually just stick a screw in the wooden frame and zip tie the socks to it if I don't have a holder. As long as the carbon doesn't tumble or get pounded with water hard enough to pulverize it you should be okay. It would depend on how much flow would be going through it. I would just place the media bag in between your baffles personally.

use 1" pvc pipe cut a little longer than the width of your sump. put a zip tie thru the top of your filter sock, dont tighten the zip tie all the way and leave enough room for the pvc pipe the slide thru the zip tie. then simply put your filter sock into your drain pipe then run the pvc pipe thru the zip tie and across the top of your sump. bam, filter sock holder for about a dollar lol

Back