My 1300 gallon addiction: A Miami reef build story.

It's funny, I actually had really good experience with a sulphur reactor on my last tank, and am entertaining the idea of going that route in the future, but as this is still such a very young system (just hit 3 months), I'm going to let it ride a bit before changing too many things.

Peter and I worked on the system on Saturday until the early hours of the morning and made what I think are some great upgrades.

We drilled out the sump with a 6" hole saw, which on a side note was insane loud, and added 5 spots for 7" filter socks. Even though I know some people find it crazy tedious to swap out socks once or twice a week, I find they are some of the most efficient mechanical filtration, and don't really mind changing them. Now, instead of the water simply leaving the spray bar in all directions onto the floss tray, we made a new "manifold" to direct the water into the socks. This includes the refugium and chiller outlet. I plan on running a larger maybe 300 micron (or larger) sock for the fuge drain so it will allow for critters to make it back into the system but contain algae or larger organics. The addition of the socks also helped with the noise level, as well as some the microbubbles we were experiencing.

The next mod was the addition of an iwaki to the reservoir to complete the salt water mixing station, I know it's such a simple thing, but after having used a drop in sump pump connected a garden hose, I can really appreciate the value in this system...I love it. The pic reminds me I need to finish painting the frag tank stand and cover it with pvc board for...well, looks really.

Here are some pics:

Im not sure why the iPhone makes it look so much more blue in the pics, but it's not too much. Also, that chandelier is on the way out, it was the old dining area before we remodeled once moving in.

Now I know why the tank looks so blue in these pics!!! I had disconnected the T5's! The timer just went off so I'll add more with the complete lighting tomorrow.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the white shaker cabinet doors should be back from the builder tomorrow and we're hoping to have them installed onto the canopy this weekend. It'll definitely contain the light from spilling everywhere, and will match the eventual kitchen remodel.

Your phone is going to make it look blue pretty much always. You can use a simple gel filter and hold that over your lens. It's amazing how much that little piece of plastic will remove the blue and pick up all the other colors.

Thanks TurboCamaro, I can only thank Peter for spending 4+ hours inside the tank meticulously setting eat and every rock into place. It's definitely dramatic when you walk into the house and see the scape work, but even crazier, is that each piece is interlocked with no glue or putty/epoxy.

I just completed a 250 gallon water change, and plan on testing everything tomorrow to see where the parameters settled out. I'm going to begin seriously research carbon dosing, specifically vinegar, as a viable option for bringing the nitrates down. Not that they're insane bad at 35ppm or so, they're much higher than I would like, and my understanding is that done correctly carbon dosing can be both safe and very effective. Long term, I'm still entertaining a sulphur reactor. All in do time.

In the next couple of weeks i plan on setting up the dual head 170gpd Stenner pump for daily auto water changes, somewhere in the range of 7-10gpd.

For now, all seems well, and the corals are encrusting steadily, and the polyp extension is great.

If anyone has any specific advice on vinegar dosing, I'm all ears!

sure, skip it... i dosed for about 2 years and could never get no3 at a desired level. imo, a sulfur reactor with about 8-10 gallons of sulfur would work at lowering no3.

Why are you looking specifically at vinegar dosing? It'll mess with your pH and is potentially less pure than ethanol/vodka dosing.

If you're really considering carbon dosing, check out ReefKeeping Mag article on it here (basically a summary/literature review of all of the ReefCentral members experiences over a number of years)

You could do a sulfur reactor, or even the slow-flow methanol reactor that has been researched and developed (or at least more recently) down in your own back yard in Broward county.

All good options, I would strongly recommend researching them all thoroughly before making a decision. If you need something quick, and have a good skimmer, vodka is easy enough (I'd also recommend supplementing bacteria while dosing vodka), and then you can save up for and learn more about a larger reactor system.

Just wanted to give a quick update... This afternoon, we mocked up and partially installed the canopy doors. They're white shaker and will match the eventual kitchen cabinets. The hinges are being worked with because the installer thinks they might be a bit small for the application. Either way, the doors are up along with some of the corner trim. One more corner piece is needed, as well as the horizontal trim that will sit just below the doors to mask the water line. So far so good...

My apologies again, as I took the pics with the T5's only, after the halides had turned off for the night.

Once the hinges are installed, the doors will be tightened down properly and fitted in their final place, but I'm pleased with the look so far.

Thanks everyone. I spent most of the day cleaning the house and continuing to prep the nursery, but did clean the glass a bit and thought a picture (with all the lights this time!) was in order...

Hopefully the canopy will be complete within the next few days...in the mean time I will make an effort to organize the fish room and maybe put up some shelving in there.

More updates to come!

Thanks everyone. Here are a few new additions to the display, thanks to my friends at Hydra Aquatics: 3 yellow tangs and 1 Blue hippo. The yellows are pale in color as they were getting an adequate (and appreciated) QT with copper and profilactic meds. So far I only saw a couple of inconsequential nips from the resident yellow tang, but it didn't seem as though he was too upset. Fingers crossed!

Don't know if your interested but a lfs up here in west palm reef lovers has a giant heniochus bannerfish that there looking to to re-home. He is probably 7-8 inches and is in there 220 display. They haven't been able to find a home big enough for him due to his size. I could talk to them if your interested.

Back