My 1st Nano about 33 g

DR.G

Hi. I have been involved in marine aquariums for 20 of the last 30 years. My smallest aquarium in the past was 50 gallon. Moved to larger from there. Due to a move, into a home that's almost under constant renovation , I am loath to set up my 90+ gallon tank.

My dilemma, I was given a 33 gallon tank unused still in a petco box. Probably about 18 years old. It's roughly 36 lx 12 w x 18h around it's plastic frame. Glass is 6mm with 2- 4" side braces. I think it's flimsy and has a poor dimension for a reef tank. Would more or less end up with a wall of rock, little room for aquascaping. I would have an overflow on the back.

My 2 current alternatives are custom builds.

1st 30 l x 16 w x 16 h about 33 gallons overflow on the back maybe internal instead

2nd 24 l x 18 w x 18 h about 33.5 gallons internal overflow

Of the two custom builds which do you think will make a better nano reef? There will only be 3 small fish. One small bubble tip anemone. The ones in my office tank only grow to about 3 inches. The rest will be a combo of zoa and SPS, rare LPS. One clam. Lighting is a Radion 30 G3. I will custom build the stand myself for any of the above. If I'm feeling ambitious I may build the tank myself, having a LFS or glass place to drill the holes

I'd go with option 2. Depth is always advantageous in this hobby. You won't really gain any stocking options between a 30" and 24" tank, and it will make it harder for you light to cover the ends if you go longer.

You could also look into 18-24 inch cube tanks, if you're open to options.

Back