My 40G Reef

mmasuda31

Still in beginning phases of building, but thats part of the hobby right.

So far, everything is flourishing.

i'd like to start by saying....this rock "Buna Ultra Live Rock" from RocknReef is awesome.

Ive got 80lbs of this with 80 lbs of fine grain sand. Gives me about a 3in sand bed.

As far as life goes...

Mated pair of Ocellaris clowns
Algae Blenny
Bi Color Dottyback

2 BTA's one very Rose..and the other is a neon green with orange tips (beauty)
Frogspawn coral
your typical GSP and Blue Pulsing Xenia
Brain Coral
Adding 20+ Head Sun Coral tomorrow...stoked about that.

This tank came out beautiful...i am very pleased.

tank1.JPG

:beer:

Last edited:
One thing that will help is of you upgrade your simmer. That coralife skimmer isn't capable of handling your bio load. They are over rated big time and a designed poorly. I'm not knocking you by any means. Just trying to help out.

Thanks for the heads up....do you have any suggestions. This will probably come with posting more equipment pictures. I have very little room for a skimmer and the return pump in the end chamber of my sump. Currently I have 2 Sump Socks that the water has to pass through to get to the refugium...then get through another pad to get to the last chamber, that being said...im trying to keep the skimmer working as little as possible, however, I think I am going to need a rather small skimmer or one that functions as a hang on. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

The bubble mangus sp? skimmers are nice. There are some cheap cone skimmers hitting the market that are a performance bargan. If you check the equip forum, look for SC skimmers. They are also on ebay. I picked up the SC65 for my 29g reef and it's simpley amaizing...and it was $70 shipped. It out performs me old tunze skimmer like mad.

I ran a SRO XP 2000 external on my old 120g SPS setup and was floored by the performance. The bubble blaster pump on thos SRO skimmers if fantastic and they come with a 3 year warrantee.

Yes...as I have found with Kessil...it's love/hate.

Also, I wasn't sure where this post would belong since this size tank falls into a grey area.

Thank you forum police.

Sincerely,
Forum Infractor

Just giving you a heads up so you didn't wonder why the mods moved it over to "Reef Discussion" infractor... I mean masuda...

What's the love / hate on the Kessil's? I've only heard love stories about them.

Well..I love the Kessil's. your, "Tank looks great until the kessils" made it seem like you didnt like kessils.

I love them...I went full out with this tank.

I'll follow up with a systems post with images tonight.

Okay Equipment:

First:

The tank is from TruVu. Personal preference, they're local. They built in the overflow in the back left corner, and drilled the over flow for return lines.

So starting with the overflow, for now here is the intake, thermometer, and heater.

photo%2520%252822%2529.JPG

Drains down into the sump below into a 3 chamber designed sump. the sump is made by Aqueon. Again, personal preference...I didn't have time to go and make a custom sump etc.

Drains into chamber 1 where there are two sump socks (Another controversial topic from what i have read)
photo%2520%252821%2529.JPG

Over into the refugium where I have 15lbs of more rock. and a Chaeto ball.
photo%2520%252820%2529.JPG

from there it goes through a baffle where i have some foam and and Phosban media bag, and into chamber two where the return and protein skimmer sit.

As discussed earlier, the skimmer is a Coralife, but this thread has got me thinking of looking into a new one. the return..is a RIO pump..I just cant remember the flow rate.

Anyhow...water comes back up through the overflow out the return line.
photo%2520%252818%2529.JPG

For flow I have lots of crossing currents...the return lines are split...one shoots on the back of the aquarium to the back right bottom corner...and the other is aimed and the front right bottom corner.

I have two Koralia power heads, on each side od the tank on the back, aimed at the front.
photo%2520%252817%2529.JPG

photo%2520%252816%2529.JPG

Then from right to left (towards the overflow) I have an ecotech MP10...running on tidal swell mode all day.

photo%2520%252815%2529.JPG

Obviously the lighting is Kessil LEDs, which i am a huge fan and supporter of .
photo%2520%252814%2529.JPG

As far as equipment goes, that's what i've got.

Well..I love the Kessil's. your, "Tank looks great until the kessils" made it seem like you didnt like kessils.

I love them...I went full out with this tank.

I'll follow up with a systems post with images tonight.

Ohhh yeah, just reread that post and realized I mis-typed!! I meant to say "Tank looks great UNDER the Kessils"!!!

Hi, tank looks great. I'm planning on running Kessils on my current build also.

What are the dimensions of your tank? Also, are those the 15k kessil's?

Thanks

Tank dimensions are 36x15x16

I have two Kessil LED's..the spread on them is amazing and should cover about 18"...I do have nems so i lowered the kessils to about 8" off the water surface...found the best way to gauge was to see if they are reaching for light or not. The pictures make tim look far too blue and they're both 15k.

Back