My 55g reef build.

Nice!

If I could suggest maybe get some black vinyl wrap off eBay and cover the back of the tank to hide the wires. Especially with that kind of minimalistic aquascape.

Thanks Bent!

I do intend on adding a background, just havent gotten around to it yet.

Would you suggest black or dark blue?

I tend to like black, but it's whatever you like. Your the one that has to look at it.

Buy some colored paper from an art store for color testing and give them all a shot. Light blue, dk blue or black all look good. Then you'll be sure of what background to get.

Possibly. But cant say for definate.

So is the green likely a morph from the bam bams, or are the bam bams a morph from the green?

I would assume the green is the morph based on the prevalence of bam bams in the hobby?

Just trying to get my mind wrapped around it.

Thanks for the response!

The green is a morph from the bam bams. If you lool at it, youll see the rim is the same as the bam bams

Yes, they are the same, i did notice the greens seem to be a slightly duller orange on the brim, but thats the only difference.

I may try to frag some of the greens off down the line and see if they carry their morph to a new colony.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone have suggestions on a HOB protein skimmer for a 55g. I would like something that is solid quality, but dont want to break the bank, since im on a pretty tight buget.

I know these things dont always come together (quality and affordability) but if i had some ideas, i could search for used or hunt for a deal.

Being new to the whole hobby, i am a bit overwhelmed by all of the options, and they all seem to have hit or miss reviews.

What sort of clearance do you need Red Eye Reefer from tank to wall?

Im sure i have enough, just want to verify.

I want to say 4 inches is the minimum you would want/need, when I get home from work I can measure real quick for you.

It's pretty slender. I know for a fact 6 inches would be enough.

HTH

I want to say 4 inches is the minimum you would want/need, when I get home from work I can measure real quick for you.

It's pretty slender. I know for a fact 6 inches would be enough.

HTH

Thanks!

I believe i have a little over 6 inches of clearance back there, but will also need to double check.

I purposely left it at around 6 inches i believe of clearance because i knew i wanted a hob skimmer and refugium back there, and one of the refugiums i was looking at needed over 5 inches of clearance, so im pretty sure i went to six just so everything wasnt so tight fitting.

Thanks again.

Back