My Acro Nursery

I posted this one a few pages back. Its a few months older and really coming along well.
BC's Spainbow...
picture.php

Thanks Mark. Sometimes given enough patience and care the uglies become swans. The non-branded corals are also often the most special and unique. This coral I bought locally. Started out as an after thought... Toxic Green
picture.php

To this! The transformation is almost unbelievable.
picture.php

And one more for good measure... Sold to me as Sunset Mille
picture.php

Watch out, that toxic green can grow like a weed. I have to frag about 5-7 x 1"+ frags a month just to keep it from outgrowing its neighbors.

icy... Yeah. I agree. That thing is outpacing its brothers and sisters. It started out slow, but is now one of the fastest growers... geometric growth! I wish it would slow down because my eventual display is still a distant thought. There are roughly 10 other sps frags that are growing weed like... gonna have to cut frags soon.

Yep, routine fragging is the way to go. Mine seems to just grow faster than other acros. I have probably 50 different acros in the tank, and this one is almost double the growth rate.

BTW, if you put it in somewhat lower light it grows a little slower, and takes on more of a deep green color instead of the toxic green. Almost looks like a different coral other than growth form. I have a high light colony in the middle of the tank and a lower light colony glued to the overflow.

Do you just toss them? I have zero reef geek friends that can handle SPS. I can sell them, but dont want to trouble myself to pack and ship. Its in my office at work so I cant run a side biz and have visitors during work hours... Perhaps saturdays ok. Tossing them seems like such a waste. I dont mind giving some away to a few worthy reefers that are willing to learn and have the proper set-up...

Last edited:
Do you just toss them? I have zero reef geek friends that can handle SPS. I can sell them, but dont want to trouble myself to pack and ship. Its in my office at work so I cant run a side biz and have visitors during work hours... Perhaps saturdays ok. Tossing them seems like such a waste.

Yeah, tossing would be a huge waste with such beautiful sps. I wish I lived closer!

Im in cali and would drive south or add a visit to a planned trip to see the setup and maybe get some frags! Definitely that spainbow...

Gorgeous pieces. Thanks for the growth pics. It's really neat to be able to not only see how these corals grow out but also how they color up nicely. Thanks for sharing!

The tank is humming along. No obvious issues. Nuisance algae is practically non existent. Havent tested NO3 or PO4 in awhile. Alk is sitting around 7. Probably the biggest issue is that coraline grows too fast and I cant scrape the sides anymore because the sps' are in the way. I have 6 pieces that are larger than softballs. Also thinking about culling some of the duller pieces. Its amazing that all of the corals below started out as 1 in frags.
picture.php

Amazing selection of corals and superb growth and colour saturation. Could you share your dosing routine please?

Ahmed,

The Zeo supplements I am using are as follows. It will seem complicated and intimidating, but its really easy once its organized and calendered. All the supplement doses are broken up into different days. As I mentioned before, some of the supplements are being dosed because I bought them and will probably not be replaced once exhausted (ie. Flatworm Stop, Coral Booster, Coral Snow, a few others.) Some supplements im just not 100% sure about. I feed a mixture of 3ml Oyster Feast + Pellets, flakes, Reef Chili, Cyclopeeze daily.

3% water change weekly with Red Sea Pro
500ml carbon exchanged monthly
Zeolite Rocks: 2000L Total (1000L x 2 in filter socks in sump. 1000L exchanged every 10 weeks)
Zeostart: 1.5 ml every 2 days
Zeobak: 8 drops every 3 days
Zeofood7: 8 drops every 4 days
Coral Vitalizer: 8 drops every 2 days
Sponge Power: 8 drops every 3 days
AA: 5 drops every 4 days
KIF Concentrate: 5 drops every 4 days
Eisen: 5 drops weekly
Jod komplex: 5 drops weekly
K-Balance: 4ml every 3 days
Xtra/Xtra Special:4ml alternating every 2 days
B-Balance: 5ml every 4 days
Mag Compex: 6ml every 3 days
Flatworm Stop+Coral Booster: 4ml +2ml every 4 days
Macroelements: 3ml weekly
Strontium Komplex: 6ml weekly
2 tablespoons Kalk powder every 4 days in reactor
1 tablespoon Calcium powder every 3 days

Nice.
Thanks for the update.
I was also wondering, since your tank is at your office, do the office lights stay on all the time or do you turn them off when you leave?

Back