My Acro Nursery

Thanks! The stag took a long time to color up properly, but was worth the wait. The blue on blue with the almost neon green tips is absolutely stunning.

That's acropora exquisita, right? I bought a frag with nice green tips, now all brown. Looks like I'll need to wait a few months. :)

Yes, A. Exquisita. Mine spent a lot of time in this stage.
picture.php

I have a ways to go before I get to that, right now mostly light blue and brown. :) Do you know how long it took to color up?

To get to where it is today, probably a year or so. I dont think it had anything to do with the frag itself, but more about my water conditions improving over the last year with the frags together. I still have some frags with little to no color or growth since I purchased them 16 months ago.

To get to where it is today, probably a year or so. I dont think it had anything to do with the frag itself, but more about my water conditions improving over the last year with the frags together. I still have some frags with little to no color or growth since I purchased them 16 months ago.

Thanks for the info. My water conditiosn are still less than ideal but getting there, so I wait ... :)

Just a random question. Are you selling the frags off those to the public? I'd love to come see the tank none the less and one day pick up some frags when I'm at that point.

Trevor,

Not selling anything at the moment, but when you think your tank is ready i wouldnt have a problem inviting you to see the tanks and selling you some on the cheap.

Reefvet... Thank you. These are from the frags I received from Battle Corals back in mid-January. Some are just starting to color up now while many others are still not presentable.

Thanks Matt! I want to mention that im praying things dont go south soon. Over the weekend, Los Angeles had some brutal tropical weather, hi temps with hi humidity. The power at my office went out from late saturday around 4pm to early monday morning around 4am according to my Apex. The actual power outage wasnt that long, but my breaker tripped so my tank's power was down for much longer. Im going to change the breaker to a bigger one. The only thing that was for life support was the battery back-up to the ecotech pumps. I dont think the ecotech battery power lasted the whole 36 hours while the tank power was down. I have 4 pumps, one in each tank which includes the refugium. I probably lost 10 gallons or so to evaporation because the top off stopped working too. Temperatures went down to about 74.5 which im not worried about, but still crossing my fingers. Oy vey! This hobby...

Last edited:
These are from the frags I received from Battle Corals back in mid-January. Some are just starting to color up now while many others are still not presentable.

6 months seems like a long time to get color back in your frags.

Has this been typical of frags you had shipped to you ?

Reevet - I would consider that most of my frags color up slow; typically taking 3 months to a year depending on the complexity of the colors for that particular sps. I have some that are still brown after 18 months! And a few others that came in with color 18 months ago, but are now brown. I find that multicolor sps take longer with coloring beginning with new growth, then the corallites, and finally the tips and polyps. The Ultimate Stag I posted earlier is a great example. The bright green tips got stonger within the last few months even though the blue has been present for some time before. The Battle Coral frags are all more complex by nature as seen on his website, so for me, these will take much longer to color up. I dont think I received any frag that was colorful from the get go and stayed that way. One caveat, the bulbs, K and lighting used will play a role in the colors. I have switched K and manufacturers a few times so this most likely delayed the coloring some.

Here is the Hyperberry when I first got it. Its under a 10K here.
picture.php

Last edited:
Here is the Hyperberry when I first got it. Its under a 10K here.

Wow that is quite a change.

I'm just waiting for cooler weather here in So Cal before I have Adam ship me some frags from BC. I'm seeing 5 degree temp swings in my frag tanks so he's been kind enough to delay shipping frags he cut to me.

I have had lots of color shifts due the lighting and other parameters but I rarely end up with a coral that doesn't color up within a few weeks. I've had frags from Steve Garrett that had next to no color and went through amazing transformations but that's to be expected since he grows everything in daylight.

In the last few months I've used Acropower and some Zeo products to jump start color. I over saturate a tank with AAs for a week and then do a 60% water change 2 days in a row. I have an unlimited supply of NSW available so I change water a lot but from the testing I've done my frags will deplete the AAs in NSW in 24 hours.

Markalot - Thanks. Looks like things are going to be ok. The weather here is doing some weird things, but as you probably are aware we really need the rain.

Reefvet - Adam is a great guy to work with. His first shipment got delayed and arrived completely dead. He replaced them and threw in some nice freebees with the replacements. I dont know why some take so long to color up. The frags in my tank seem to want to pale or brown first. But once they do color up, Im quite pleased. Which frags are you getting from Adam?

Back