My DIY LR Project (A Must Read) Progressive + Long Read

Crush osyter shell and play sand and some old dead coral took a gall bucket poke holes in the sand fill then add more sand and keep pouring that way you get round branches it takes a little longer to setup I leave it in the sand for two days air dry for a week then throw it in the canal for a month (brackish water)and finish with a week in saltwater. The branches are starting to look good now that corals and coraline is growing on them

DLChaney

thanks for the writeup and good info, it's been very helpful. I have a couple questions/comments.

Looking at your rock I see something that I don't see in others, the existing contrasts and shades in color. It's great and looks almost like it has been in a tank for a short while already. Do you know why? Is it a mixture of dyed mix or possibly the pastas? I thought maybe it was shadows or camera tricks but it's apparent in at least one closeup.

About the dye, did it get lighter or darker after it cured? how much?

How much of the mold material ends up sticking to the outside of the rock? hopefully none if done right, correct?

thanks again and good work.

THe only thing I could think of negatively and sorry if this was already said, is the rock pouros? I think the important thing about rock is that it's pouros allowing water to flow through it and feed all the bacteria hiding in all the nooks and cranies inside the rock.

Just curious if the dye has any negative effect in a tank? Any answers other then "it just doesnt hurt anything"

Thanks
Goby

Any tank pics of the DIY rocks yet? I've seen some of the man-made rocks at the LFS and it is very hard to tell the difference from real rocks.

rock looks good how does the dye hold up and is it safe??? ive made alot of my own live rock a good tip is to keep the mix dry as possible for increased pourosity most of my rocks will run water straight through them. does the pasta break down????

Great looking rock. I made 3 batches over the last six months and I get better with every batch. I think the "sloppier" you lay it in your sand molds, the better. Yes the rock is extremely porous. I used crushed coral because I didn't know about the chicken feed idea. The rock will drip for at least 10 minutes after taking it out of the water. I got all my info for agrocrete from garf.org as well

Last edited:
Bump
This thread is loaded with info and I had a really hard time finding it. I am sure other folks who have not seen it will enjoy it :)

Back