My experience killing Aiptasia

Webmanny

Hey guys,

I recently got some Zoa frags from a Craigslist guy that were super cheap, but of course had some issues. While inspecting the corals, I noticed some flatworms, bubble algae and other weird things that I took care of by doing a fresh water dip, QT and other treatments. However, I somehow missed one Aiptasia anemone.

The other day I was inspecting my frags and noticed it on one of my Zoas. So I decided to do something about it. I looked at Majano wands, DIY lasers, Aiptasia X, etc., but nothing inspired confidence until i saw the video below about using boiling RODI water and a Julian's thing feeder.

It took me 2 minutes to boil the water in the microwave and 30 seconds to "feed" the boiling water to the Aiptasia. It literally let's go on the second squirt of water and then you suck it out of your tank with the same took.

I just wanted to share my experience. Don't waste your time with anything else until you try this method.

https://youtu.be/y-E9nIjBoQw

Sounds like a good cheap remedy. I used aptasia X , with sucess but I only had about 5 and successfully killed 4. But the one was resilient. It took me three "feedings" lol. It seems if you had a baster 1/4 full of boiling water and immediately sucked the aptasia in it would work. Was it that easy? Sounds like it. I hope to never deal with any pests again lol. šŸ˜œ

Honestly, it took me longer to boil the water. If you are going to do it with a baster, be careful with the flow. The baster will shoot out too much water at once. Slow flow is better. After the second blast with hot water, just suck it out.

It was the easiest thing I have ever had to do with my tank and what is better is that the Zoas, which were just milliliters from it, did not even found it what was going on.

That is weird. I just clicked it and it worked. Maybe do a youtube search for "How to kill and remove Aiptasia for free". This is the title of his video.

I'm still surprised of how easy this was. I'm thinking of trying it on those little starts that upset corals. I think they are called Asterina starfish. I bet it would work as well.

That is weird. I just clicked it and it worked. Maybe do a youtube search for "How to kill and remove Aiptasia for free". This is the title of his video.

I'm still surprised of how easy this was. I'm thinking of trying it on those little starts that upset corals. I think they are called Asterina starfish. I bet it would work as well.

Harliquin shrimp wil take care of the star fish!

Move him on to someone else after they r gone or he will starve :(

Back