My experience w/ Cultivated Reef(dot)com, and Greg, its proprietor...

Pallobi

CTARS, BRS & OSRAS Member
ok, so since i have made a couple orders from this gentleman recently, and i am not sure too many know about him or his site, i thought i would share my own personal experience with him, his site, and the peices i have received from him... again, his name is Greg, and his coral farm, Cultivated Reef...

my first purchase was made from him about one month ago in which i decided to purchase an Australian Strawberry Shortcake acro and an ATL Limeade acro... if any of you dont know, SSC's can be quite finicky and fussy when fragged and/or introduced to new systems once it has established itself in one system, not always, but definitely not uncommon by any means... and especially when shipped... as it can easily brown out and take some time to bounce back for instance... however Greg's i got only faded in color a bit, which is to be expected and is now coloring up real nice and is very healthy and showing all the signs one would look for in a healthy coral, and did not exhibit any signs that SSC's have been known to show when fragged and moved... of course, this greatly depends on your own system water quality and husbandry methods as well... and to boot, it was only $40 w/ his 20% off sale, and was a nice stalk, about 1.75" in height... an awesome frag indeed as most know how much these usually go for at times... the Limeade acro was also a great peice, and was a great size and multiple established branches w/ mutliple tips... and is coming along incredibly...

lastnite, as part of a Boston Reefers group buy from him, their second in the last 4 weeks btw, i purchased some zoas/palys from him this time around... Sunny D palys and Red People Eaters as i have wanted both for some time... Greg, the owner, really goes out of his way... he emailed me back and forth 3 times last nite with long, explanative emails about all my questions regarding buying zoas and palys from him, his fragging techniques, and numerous other concerns as i havent bought any soft polyp corals from him yet and wanted to know more... also to note, with my purchases, he has emailed me personally after my purchase, as well as a follow up after the shipment was delivered to assure my satisfaction... you jus wont find amazing and helpful customer service like this anywhere for the most part, and that in itself, speaks volumes...

also, this company is located in Maine, and to sweeten your purchase, the shipping is only $19 overnite to those who reside throughout New England and is done via Fedex... orders over $149 are free throughout the country... and he will work with you on shipping days for what works best with both parties involved...

though he isnt the biggest site and coral farmer out there, he usually has at least 30 to 40 variety's each of sps, lps, and zoas/palys, and is most defintely worth taking a gander at his site in the very least...

these are solely my opinions and experiences involved with dealing with Greg directly myself... i am receiving nothing in return for this post... its jus as a avid and very much involved and sharing hobbyist, i thought many here may find this info valuable and it may jus help out everyone who shares my interest... you, me, and Greg as well... as again, he deserves to have a good word thrown around here and there with his incredible customer service...

thanks for looking, jus wanted to share... ;)

Last edited:
One of these days, I too would like to gawk:lmao:, sorry look at your tank. Maybe I could make a traveling crock pot tour. Charlene

I also had a positive experience with Cultivated reef. Greg seemed to try very hard to make the purchase go as smooth as possible. I ordered a couple different zoas and acans and they all opened up very nicely within a day or so of arriving. I spent about 150 so the shipping was free and I will order from him again in the near future.

i have not ordered from them but i did email them twice in the past saying i was very excited to find a place close by ct so that the shipping is reasonable . i also asked if they had a mailing list of some kind and could i be put on it . i never got a response from either email so i never did order. but glad to hear you received great service.

i have not ordered from them but i did email them twice in the past saying i was very excited to find a place close by ct so that the shipping is reasonable . i also asked if they had a mailing list of some kind and could i be put on it . i never got a response from either email so i never did order. but glad to hear you received great service.

you should definately try again, i'm pretty positive it was jus a fluke occurance... but thats entirely up to you... GL should you decide to give it another shot, would be worth it imo...

I'll be receiving another batch of goodies from Greg (cultivated reef) again this Saturday. and i will be sure to let everyone here on the ctars board know how it works out :) but I'm pretty sure ill be quite satisfied...

got my 2nd order from this online coral farm friday, and after seeing Kevin's thread, it reminded me to update mine :)

i kept it pretty simple this time and only got a couple zoas/palys... i ordered (1) Sunny D polyp, which came in looking incredible, well healed, and established and begining to grow its mat out where it will surely begin to sprout more soon :)

the other was a (2) polyp order of Red People Eaters... again, very very happy with my selection and frag recieved... i ordered two polyps and actually got a couple more than that... the polyps are huge, fat, and chunky... and the mouth glows an amazing green against the beautiful red body...

awesome frags indeed... once again, and as the first time, Greg did not disappoint... will be ordering from him again in about 3 or 4 weeks...

perhaps my fellow locals would want to get in on a group buy? jus a thought ;)

thanks for reading :)

I had a wonderful experience with Cultivated Reef and Greg. It's so hard to find great customer service these days. Greg went out of his way to make my experience the best it could be. I ordered 3 Chalices from him and was quite nervous since the watermelon was at the top of the scale for what I will pay for a coral. All arrived in excellent condition, but how could they not as the packing was excellent! The frags were all nice size and were free of any nasty bugs or unwanted algae. I will be going back for more sps frags before long! Kudos to Greg! at Cultivated Reef!

I had a wonderful experience with Cultivated Reef and Greg. It's so hard to find great customer service these days. Greg went out of his way to make my experience the best it could be. I ordered 3 Chalices from him and was quite nervous since the watermelon was at the top of the scale for what I will pay for a coral. All arrived in excellent condition, but how could they not as the packing was excellent! The frags were all nice size and were free of any nasty bugs or unwanted algae. I will be going back for more sps frags before long! Kudos to Greg! at Cultivated Reef!

awesome to hear! :thumbsup:

cant wait til i put in my next order this coming month... will probably be another BRS group buy and i am stoked... looking to grab 1 sps, and a zoa/paly type or two... perhaps even a favia ;)

again, glad you had a great experience trish... greg is a great guy, and i gladly recommend him to anyone :)

well, since i ordered from this Greg again today i thought i would give him some props yet again... ordered my blue hornets finally... still $19 overnight shipping... inquired about the possibility of getting them by this weekend, and was told they already have some nice healed frags and it will ship tomorrow so i will have them friday by the time o go to work... i specified my prefered shipping date on my order checkout, and was messaged within 10 mins about my concerns, and they were handled immediantly... which is absolutely wonderful...

I cant stress enough how customer service orientated Greg is... its the best, and very reassuring as a paying and repeat customer... second to none... straight up...

and dont worry Bob, there are still a few more goodies i want, so we can still do our group buy, lol ;)

Cool. I am just about ready to order. Trying to put my daughters christmas present (75g tank) together has burned up most of my cash, but I should have enough to order some coral soon. Hopefully by next week.

Back