My Green SPS started to turn white around the base :-O

Bowels

I have a metal halide and 4 T5s on a 20T, and my SPS was up near the top because I know they light the light. I have the t5s on for 8 hrs and the Halide on for 3. The SPS started turning white around the base. I have moved him a little lower... will he survive? is he ok? what does this mean?:hmm1:

That usually signifies the beginning of slow or rapid tissue necrosis. There is no way for me to know for sure if it will make it or not, but it's not a good sign. How old is your tank? SPS corals should not be attempted too soon, try a few softies & an LPS or two first, I didn't try any Acro's for over a year when I started. Water parameters, especially Alk & magnesium are critical for these corals.

oooh shoot I didnt know that I should have waited... its only about 3 months old maybe 4. So your thinking its like the nutrients in the water? Is there anyway to save him?

oooh shoot I didnt know that I should have waited... its only about 3 months old maybe 4. So your thinking its like the nutrients in the water? Is there anyway to save him?

I'm thinking your tank is not stable enough right now, I can't diagnose it without testing, but it's a good probability that your nutrients are high & your parameters are fluctuating, SPS need pristine water & better than average lighting to thrive. Unfortunately I don't have a magic answer for you about saving the coral, keep an eye on it, if it keeps bleaching fast, there's probably nothing you can do for it. I know it's hard to be patient, but look at it like a long slow marathon, not a sprint. Read up on proper SPS keeping & in the meantime, try your hand at an Open Brain or Frogspawn Coral while you are gaining experience.

Back