My mandarin took the leap

Specfishin

Well, my mandarin went missing a couple days ago. I tore my rock up a bit to find him tonight but no success. I was worried of the worst happening. Is it gonna crash the tank if he died? Is he stuck in the drain pipe? A rock? Inside somethings belly? I researched what I could. Found some hope and horror stories. Maybe he's found a pod resort under the rockwork? Then last resort I thought, is he laying on the ground? He couldn't have made it into the sump/refugium!He's always been out and about or sleeping in a specific spot or two. I just replenished some pods and watched him go nuts over them. Well, apparently over that night he must've gone nuts and jumped out of the tank. Because well After I rummaged through my tank and inhabitants, tested parameters, i found him behind the display tank on the floor. šŸ˜­ I didn't realize they would jump out and I feel horrible for not having a top now. All week he had been in and out of the current picking at the pods on tank walls. Never even occurred to me they would jump. I know any fish "could" jump or be spooked. So in short, be aware of the possibilities that may occur regardless of what you may be told or know. Happy reefing, I just wanted to share my loss so I could possibly prevent someone else from a loss. And on that note the 125 has a canopy so no jumpers are getting out in that one as soon as I get it setup. Goodbye Mandy I know ya went to fish heavenšŸ˜”

That sucks sorry about him. Also a suggestion do you have a cleaner crew? Mine is pretty decent sized but even a few hermit crabs and carnivorous snails will take away the panicked moments of dead fish. If a fish (or anything) dies in my tank it's usually gone in under an hour. They can also help with algae, leftover fish food, and are just better for the tank.

Yea I have a very hearty cuc. But I was panicking since Iwork so much and I had just gotten into a good groove with the tank. I also wasn't sure if the cuc would eat a mandarin dead or alive. Regardless I'm not adding any fish till i make the big tank move. Hopefully before May.

Firefish are the suicidal ones in my tank.

Ditto!

On a side note, be aware that fish can survive quite a bit longer than we would expect. I had a Midas blenny that my wife found on the floor and he did not move when I picked him up. He wasn't dried out, so I took a chance and held him in my hand and moved him back and forth in the tank to get water over the gills and after a minute or 2 he started twitching then swimming and after a day, he was back to normal. He did lose a lot of his fins, which have now grown back fine.

Ditto!

On a side note, be aware that fish can survive quite a bit longer than we would expect. I had a Midas blenny that my wife found on the floor and he did not move when I picked him up. He wasn't dried out, so I took a chance and held him in my hand and moved him back and forth in the tank to get water over the gills and after a minute or 2 he started twitching then swimming and after a day, he was back to normal. He did lose a lot of his fins, which have now grown back fine.

Unfortunately mine was dried to the wood floor. Like its been there for a few days. I thought he was just hiding, little did I know.

I have a rimless tank and have lost a few to jumping out. I had a puffer that even bounced off the back wall and landed in the refugium down in the sump once as well. It sucks to lose one. Somebody should make a inward curved lip for the top edge of rimless tanks to keep jumpers in.

Great idea Cperkins8, except that it would have to be a pretty hefty lip to stop most jumpers. My wrasse jumped over the back of my tank which has a filter chamber about 3 inches wide and hit the wall hard, so it would have jumped quite a distance if the wall wasn't there. Thankfully I was sitting right there and now have eggrate over the tank to avoid future jumpers.

Back