My Mangrove Mixed Reef

Lovely nem, I've been meaning to get one for a while, but that won't be till I finally upgrade :(. Still, looks good! Those mangroves look like they're growing relatively well.

I have had mangroves for several years now growing in my sump (would not recommend growing them there). So, I finally had a custom tank build (pvc bottom) just so that i can start growing some more along with some other marine plants. The new tank is plumbed into to sump of my reef tank.

Now if i can only find a good source of mangroves here in the states.

I see something interesting on the mangroves, coralline growth. With nearly all mangroves grown in the sump, where coralline growth is less then optimal, usually you don't have to worry about it. Do you have any opinion whether the coralline is potentially detrimental, or perfectly fine? I know in the wild, barnacles usually grow on the larger plants, but never seen coralline on mangroves before.

comming on nicely. will the pods get pushed up by the roots as they grow,so less of the pod is below the water over time.

Hmmm. I don't really see any potential problems with the coralline growing on the roots. If these things are supposed to be strong enough to crack glass, then I'm sure a bit of coralline won't stand in their way. Also have a heap of fan worms growing on the roots :)

pasenah: I'm hoping that the roots will just grow through the aragonite, without pushing up the pod itself. The pods are growing taller, but the base doesn't seem to be rising at all.

I read somewhere that if I want the roots to grow nice and fat, I need to periodically expose them to air. As this is not going to happen, I'm still kind of curious as to how it will all pan out :) The roots are quite thin, but then again they still have alot of growing to do!

Yeah those mangrove plants and roots do grow fast. Its funny, because I read some articles online. Where others have said that they grow real slow. Which in my experience is the total opposite.

IMG_0801-1.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

a DIY 70W halide pendant with some random osram bulb I found at the shop. really have to change it soon. I'm getting alot of cyano over on the left hand side of the tank.

Yuor plants are yet to get to the slow growth stage. Right now they are still sprouts, going on what the propagule had in it. Once the reserve is over (6 leaf stage) they'll slow down considerably.

Update time!

About a week ago, I lost my orange fungia. I'm still not sure how it happened, but it just started losing some tissue around the mouth, then that just kept going on for a week until it started growing cyano...at which point I removed it. I think it died due to either too strong flow, or peppermint shrimp trying to steal food from it. At one point, I tried covering the fungia with a bottle top, so it could have a go at eating some prawn undisturbed. It didn't stop the peppermint shrimp....

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

bastard shrimp....

Today I did a big class clean and decided to take some pictures. Here's the results:

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

tank is not really this blue... Not sure why the camera does this.

Also, finally cleaned the right hand side of my tank! I don't think I've had a decent look through that bit of glass for months now.

IMG_2506.jpg

Here is my first leaves on the mangrove! Woo!!

IMG_2500.jpg

And on 3 out of the 6 mangroves, giant think roots have just started sprouting. I'm really not sure why though. Out of the 3, one has recently touched the substrate with its roots, one hasn't touched any substrate yet, and one has been wedged in a rock since the beginning! Either way, I'm looking forward to these roots growing out.

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

And thats about it for now. I just need to buy 3 more globes and one reflector until I can start making my new lights.

if it's just the seed pods then you can scoop them up,BUT if there growing and stuck in the ground then don't touch them or you'll end up in Jail or a insane fine

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15656912#post15656912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scott_richards

And on 3 out of the 6 mangroves, giant think roots have just started sprouting. I'm really not sure why though. Out of the 3, one has recently touched the substrate with its roots, one hasn't touched any substrate yet, and one has been wedged in a rock since the beginning! Either way, I'm looking forward to these roots growing out.

My layman's guess would be the existing roots have been able to uptake and store enough nutrients to allow the plants to start growing larger rootstock.

Fantastic thread btw. :D

Back